chapter 11 - icecream and lies

THE NEXT DAY, Xander walked into my room. 

"So," he said suspiciously. 

"So?" I asked back, nervous. 

He took a deep breath. "So you know about Libby." he said quickly. 

Oh. "Yeah, I know about Libby. When did you find out about Libby?" 

Xander looked away. "I found out... a couple of weeks ago?" he half said half asked, his voice being increasingly higher with each syllable. 

"Oh." I replied. 

It shocked me that Libby told Xander before she told me. I guess that I wasn't always available, but I'm still her sister. 

Xander saw the puzzled look on my face and said "It wasn't that she thought you would be against it or anything! She just wanted to find a time with just the two of you, not Oren or Alisa or anyone, and she knew that I would be okay with it because of Thea and Rebecca." 

I paused. I had forgotten how little one-on-one time I got with people recently, and I had forgotten about Thea and Rebecca in general with so many other thoughts racing around my mind. I shook my head to clear it. 

"Ok, so did you just come here to check if I knew about Libby or..." I trailed off. 

"Oh, no." Xander replied, getting back on track. "I came here to ask if you would go to the shops with me." 

I stared at him blankly. "But we have staff that go..." I started. 

"Yes, but that Texan Cowboy will need icecream if he gets broken up with, and the staff only restock what's missing from the kitchen, so we will have to get it ourselves. I was wondering if you have somewhere to store it?"

 I thought about the four foot beauty fridge in my bathroom, packed to the brim with moisturisers, face masks and other weird skin products. "I think that I could find some room..."

We ended up getting five different flavours of icecream, just to be safe. We pulled out all of the skincare stuff that I didn't use and stuffed them in behind so that they were hidden. 

"Our work here is done." Xander declared. 

We ran back downstairs for dinner, being careful on the marble stairs.

After dinner, I got a call from Alisa, asking me to come downstairs. Once I got down, I found her in the kitchen standing with her arms crossed and a piece of paper in her hand. 

"Why did you make a purchase of five tubs of icecream today?" I froze. 

She flipped around the paper and I saw all the little printed numbers on the crumpled piece of paper. 

Our receipt. I froze. "Umm, well... I-" 

I was interrupted by Xander commando-crawling his way into the kitchen, walking backwards so that he could spot anyone looking his way. 

He let out a big breath and turned. "AHHHHH!" He yelled, loud enough for people to hear over the other side of the house. "Oh. Hi..." he mumbled, turning redder and redder. 

Alisa flipped her gaze from him, to me, and back to him. "Alexander, maybe you know why Avery decided to go on a little shopping spree today?" 

Xander shot a glance in my direction, and winked at me. "Well, actually, darling Alisa, I do know why. But to tell you, you have to forget that I was ever here. Do you accept my offer?" 

Alisa tilted her head, weighing up the possibilities. "Sure, I accept." She smiled as they shook hands. 

"Perfect. So, Avery and I went to the shops today and got some icecream, but that much you knew. There is a reason. A method to our madness. An understanding to our actions. A-" Xander was interrupted by a cough and a glare from Alisa. "Oh, sorry. Got a bit distracted there. Anyway, we needed to get it for Nash." 

Alisa's eyebrows shot up. "Nash? Why does Nash need icecream?"

Xander started wandering around, like a detective trying to solve a case. "Well, our native cowboy is in love with someone. Libby. But Libby cannot love Nash. She will never be able to love Nash. " Xander answered, getting a little too into this character. "For Libby is in love, with another! Libby loves- OWW!" 

I stomped on Xander's foot. I stared Xander down, hoping he would get the hint. His eyes widened with realisation. "Oh! Damn!" he cursed under his breath. "Well, that's all we have time for tonight! Come back sometime soon!" He sped through his little speech, hoping to get Alisa out of there. 

Alisa placed her foot down. "Alexander! Who does Libby like?" 

Xander looked at me, and then turned back to Alisa. "Not sure, I'll find out, goodnight." He slammed the door in her face and locked it. 

An aggravated sigh came from outside the door. "I promise, Alexander Blackwood Hawthorne, I will find out!" We gulped in unison. 

Alisa wasn't one to break a promise.