Chapter 8 - Allison

The weeks with Henry prove to be very beneficial to Connor. Not only does he learn the area, but he also has to overcome the guilt he gains when he defends against a predatory creature. By the end of the two weeks, he is confident in his role but is still eager to spend some time with Allison as he hasn't had a lot of interactions with her outside of group settings so far.

She's not the only one though. He has yet to hold a full conversation with Levi. The man is more closed off than Benny, which is why he is stunned into awkward silence when he leaves his hut, the morning he is due to begin with Allison, to find only Levi sitting by the fire.

"They're all doing things," Levi states in his rough tone, not sparing a glance at Connor as he readies himself a bowl for breakfast.

"Where have they gone?" Connor tries to force the man to say more, seizing his opportunity to get him to open up.

"Henry's at his hill," Levi answers, standing so he can begin cleaning his utensils. "Clara and Henry are washing up and Allison is getting her shit together before you two leave."

Frustratingly, he doesn't once spare a glance at Connor. He simply uses the bucket of water to wash his things and then begins to head back to his hut. Connor can see that his hard-man exterior isn't just for his benefit, everyone has commented how much Levi is closed off. But Carter is adamant there's a softer side underneath and Connor wants to meet it.

"Wait," he says, finally getting Levi to turn and look at him. His eyes show impatience and the scowl that permanently adorns his lips remains firmly in place. "I mean... maybe... I just feel that we haven't really... it seems stupid but-"

"Spit it out kid," Levi demands exasperated at the rambling in front of him.

"Can we talk?"

"We don't have anything to talk about though," Levi states bluntly, not worried about hurting any of Connor's feelings.

"But I don't really know you," Connor points out, trying not to be embarrassed at how much he sounds desperate to speak to the man.

"And I don't know you," Levi counters back. "But it doesn't mean we HAVE to know each other. We just have to have each other's backs. I ain't the touchy-feely kind kid. Ain't personal. Just who I am."

Connor is stuck for words at how to try and respond in order to get the man to open up. He looks up from where he is awkwardly fiddling with his hands to see Levi staring back at him still. Although he could swear there is a small hint of a smile on his face as he does.

"There you go," Levi says sarcastically. "You now know something about me. Don't die out there today kid."

And with that he turns and walks towards his hut, leaving Connor standing alone by the fire.

—————

After watching Allison sharpen her spear for what felt like hours, Connor was all-too-ready to head out with her as he began his next stage of training. 2 weeks in the west.

It's a tall wooden stick around 1.5 metres long, with a sharp metal point atop. It has a grip made of leather, similar to Eindrides, slightly down from the blade. There are strings that Allison has added to it above the fabric to add some sort of personality and sentiment to it.

Allison is confident, slightly older than Link, and very athletic. She can run fast and she can move with ease in even the slightest of areas. She was training with the Olympics gymnastics team before the disaster and has spoken often about how she was preparing for the next event.

Her weapon is a perfect match for her abilities and sleek movements. Balanced in the right places, and deadly when thrown with force.

Her words are a contrast to the weapon. They are always blunt. A softer person would easily take offence to her lack of tact and people skills. But Connor assumes that's how you are when you are raised by gymnastic parents that want you to follow in their footsteps from a young age. Being forced to attend classes when she was three, only discovering a love for the sport when she was ten.