Chapter 18 - Truth

17 Months Ago

"The explosion that occurred at one of the countries leading research facilities last week, has had its death toll increased to 504 as of this morning. CEO of Mercury Ltd, Everit Kane has made the following statement;"

The news reporter and her studio cut away to reveal a man standing in front of some glass doors, the light pavement beneath them in the background. He is wearing a dark grey suit with a navy tie against a white shirt. He is slim in figure, black hair sleeked back with silver starting to show through it as he addresses the cameras in front of him.

"What occurred at the research facility is nothing less than a tragedy," he says through a low and defiant voice. "My thoughts and prayers go to the families of those that have lost loved ones through it."

His green eyes hold little emotion as he speaks. Trying to appear sympathetic and caring, whilst maintaining a professional demeanour at all times to not affect potential share prices or future business investments.

"I have ensured the most highly-skilled professionals on the planet have led the investigation throughout this. I have also worked alongside the World Council to ensure the full co-operation of myself and my company and will continue to do so moving forward."

"Dad, your best mates on telly!" Carter Woods screams as he sits, eating his cereal at the table in the family kitchen.

It's a large and inviting room. The kitchen is full of sleek, white surfaces that sit atop the mahogany drawers and cupboards. A large double-oven in the centre that has seen many a family meal prepared with love.

An archway divides the kitchen and dining area where Carter is sitting. The flatscreen TV on the wall above the table, displaying the morning news as the family get ready for their day.

"That man is not my friend!" Carter's dad exclaims as he rounds the corner with a mug of coffee in hand.

The family hair colour is apparent, although fading in brightness now, Collin Woods is in his fifties. He has a small gut that is beginning to show as his shirt is growing a little too tight beneath his burgundy tie. He has wrinkles beginning to show across the back of his hands as he clutches his coffee mug in anger at the man who is now being cut off from the screen as the studio set comes back into play.

"So far, no official statement has been made on the cause of the explosion," The reporter continues. Her dark shoulder-length hair wrapped around her face shows a professional composure as she reads the stories in a neutral and un-sympathetic voice. "However, 26-year-old university graduate, Dr Joshua Flynn has been named as the cause of the devastation. He too has perished within the explosion."

A picture to her right appears on the TV and shows a man with dirty-blonde hair, rich brown eyes and a chiselled jawline formed by flawless skin.

"Bit hot to be a mass murderer, don't you think?" Genesis laughs as she enters the room and sits down beside her brother.

"Seriously Gen," Carter laughs. "The dude killed over 500 people. I don't think you should be stating your bad-boy fantasies in front of dad when his besties are involved in it too."

"For the last time Carter," Collin growls. "That man is not my friend! He is the scum of the earth."

"Yeah yeah, he stole your ideas. He made the money. We know!" Genesis laughs fondly at her dad. Replaying the story he has told them many times before.

"Morning family," a female voice calls as she comes into view. Agatha Woods is the twins' mother. She has shoulder-length brown hair and light-blue eyes that the twins gained from her, along with their dad's hair colouring. She is slim and tall, standing above her husband's shorter height. She is always well dressed, this morning is no exception.