Chapter 9 - Fire

Connor thought he was lucky when they returned to camp. As Allison was walking ahead of him with the snake still around her neck, she plastered a shit-eating grin across her face as she prepared to tell the story of its capture to the group. Fate would be on Connor's side though for now, as the cart that Carter pulled towards the huts at that very same moment, was full of discoveries and goods that he and Genesis had brought back with them.

There were mattresses and bedding, soft to the touch and looking far too clean for items that had been left in the wild for a year. There was even a sofa that Carter stated loudly as his "bro couch" for him and Connor to bond on in the clearing.

All the little comforts made people seem happier than Connor had seen them before. He had always been in awe at how everyone tended to put on a brave face and act as if they weren't the last surviving members of humanity. But tonight it looked and felt different. The way Clara's eyes lit up at the double mattress that meant she could sleep next to her boyfriend on something that wasn't the floor for the first time in 12 months. The way even Levi cracked a small smile at the sight of a pencil and a sketchbook full of blank pages for him to take up his hobby again.

After the initial hype had worn down and all of them were sitting around the fire, tucking into the fox that Levi had brought back today, Allison ruined Connor's bliss and decided to recount the tale of how Connor was almost beaten by a snake.

"Dude!" Carter whines from beside Connor. "You are losing man points just by flinching at these things. Now we are told you actually froze... AGAIN!"

"Man points don't exist dick-head," Genesis scolds him as she throws a stick at his head.

"Alright then... Bro points!" Carter counters. "One more loss of points and I'll have to consider making Marcus my new best friend."

Marcus just sends a middle-fingered salute to Carter, causing Connor and a few others to erupt in loud laughter. But beside him, Connor can feel Link has tensed up. He has since Allison began recounting the snake attack.

She doesn't seem to notice though and continues to describe her view of the incident from the treetop, their own little Tarzan and Jane adventure, but with the genders of the characters reversed. She is very detailed and he isn't surprised to hear Link suck in sharp breaths every now and then, so he reaches down beside him to entwine their fingers, and smiles at him to ensure Link knows he is now ok.

By the time the twins head to bed, the last of the group to do so except Connor and Link, the younger boy has got his head resting peacefully on Connor's shoulder.

"I'm safe," he breathes out staring as the flames put on their private light show before them. "You know that right. I'm always going to be able to protect myself."

"But you can't promise that," Link sighs, still staring anywhere but into his eyes. "If Allison hadn't been there today you wouldn't have escaped. What happens when you're on your own? How would you have gotten through an incident like today?"

"I've got the Systirs and Eindride, I'm never really alone." He bargains as he rests his head down on top of where Link's lay.

"They aren't people Connor," the younger boy argues abruptly, turning to face his friend and letting go of all contact. "They're weapons, and it's kind of weird the way you talk about them like you do. You're starting to sound like Benny."

Although it's meant to be an insult, the remark sparks an idea inside of Connor as he disentangles himself from Link and wanders to the weapons hut, where he removes one of Benny's large sticks.

"Take the stick from me," he smirks at Link.

"What?" the younger boy turns in disbelief as he stands and walks towards Connor.