06 - Greenie

3 weeks later

Clara walked into her room after a particularly hard day of running, she and Newt had lost track of the time and practically had to sprint to get through the doors before they closed. She took off the small backpack she was wearing and tossed it onto her bead before pulling off her tank top, leaving her standing in a sports bra and shorts. She heard a chuckle at the door and quickly picked up her shirt, covering her chest as she turned around to face the boy standing at the door.

"Jesus Christ, Newt have you ever heard of knocking?"

"You should try closing the door next time, then maybe I'll have something to knock on."

"Yeah, well you should try not being a perv. Do you mind?" She asked, motioning for him to turn around.

"No not at all actually, do you?"

She clenched her jaw, wondering how the hell he managed to be the most annoying person in the glade. But an idea popped into her head, and a smirk formed on her face as she stared at him. She dropped the shirt she was using to cover her chest and slowly walked towards him, making a distinct effort to swing her hips more than usual. She stepped closer to him, placing her finger on the middle of his chest, and looking up at him, holding back a laugh when she saw how red his face was getting. She leaned in close to his ear, her voice getting lower as she whispered,

"Well, that answer depends on what your intentions are." She chuckled softly, running her finger down his chest, but before she could do move away Newt's hands were gripping her waist, pulling her closer to him as he whispered,

"Hey Clara, if I wanted you, you'd know." He smirked, releasing his grip on her and walking back towards the hammocks. She stood, motionless for a few seconds, trying to figure out what just happened.

"I thought you hated him?" A voice spoke from next to Clara, she whipped her head around trying to cover her chest as best as she could, sighing when she realized it was just Frypan.

"You saw that?"

"I caught the end of it."

"I do hate him."

"Then what was that about?"

"I was just having a little bit of fun Fry."

"Uh-huh, sure."

"Whatever, can you stop staring at me now?" She asked, walking back into the room, and grabbing some fresh clothes from the trunk at the end of the bed. As she turned around, she realized Frypan was still watching her, a stupid grin plastered all over his face.

"What?"

"You like him, don't you?" He asked, the smile on his face growing wider,

"I tolerate him, and that's ONLY because Minho refused to partner me with someone else."

"You don't have to lie to me Clar, I'm sure you love spending every day with him, just the two of you, alone in the maze, allllllll day long."

"Hey, Fry? Keep talking and I'll beat you over the head with a spatula. Okay?"

Fry raised his hands in defeat and laughed as he walked away from her room. Clara scoffed as she closed the door to the room, grabbing her clothes and heading into the small bathroom she had. She turned the shower on and stood inside, just letting the cold jets of water run over her body for a few minutes, washing off the dirt and sweat. She took the rubber band out of her hair, moving so it was under the water as well and she gently brushed her fingers through it, trying her best to take out the knots that had formed throughout the day. After a few minutes, she stepped out of the shower, wringing her hair dry and putting on the clothes she'd grabbed earlier. She walked over to her bed, already feeling the familiar dull ache in her muscles again. Despite running almost every day her body still got stiff after a particularly long day. She collapsed onto the thin mattress, not bothering to pull back the blankets, just letting her body rest and closing her eyes, feeling the tiredness setting in.

┠━━━━━━━━━━┦

Suddenly a loud alarm rang throughout the maze, echoing inside the walls of the homestead. What the hell? She thought, jumping out of bed, and sprinting down the stairs of the homestead, joining a few of the other boys who were already running outside trying to figure out what was going on. She ran to the center of the glade where the box that they had found a few supplies in on the first day sat, a large crowd already gathering around it. 

Clara pushed her way to the front, standing in between Gally and Frypan as one of the other boys opened the doors to the box, eager to see what was inside. As everyone peered at the dark space, a gasp echoed throughout the crowd. Inside the metal container was a boy, he looked around 16 years old and absolutely terrified, his eyes darting around wildly at the faces surrounding him. Yells and remarks escaped from the group,

"What is it?"

"It's a boy shuckface."

"Why'd they send him up?"

"What does he know?"

"What does he look like?"

"Is he hot?"

Alby jumped down into the box, offering a hand to the boy who reluctantly grabbed it and they climbed out the side of the box as some of the other boys jumped in to see what else was inside.

"Alright everybody, show's over, get back to your work." Alby shouted, and all the boys scattered off to continue whatever they were doing, sneaking a glance at the new kid before they all walked off. 

Clara stayed at the box for a few minutes after most of the others had left, helping some other boys unload all the supplies inside of it. After they'd finished, she started walking back towards the homestead, feeling slightly irritated that her nap had been disturbed. As she was walking, she heard someone's footsteps behind her, not bothering to turn around she said to the figure,

"You know blondie if you keep following me around like this people are gonna start thinking that we're friends."

"Is that a problem?"

"Well, I wouldn't want them to get the wrong impression. So, yes."

"You can deny it as much as you want sunshine, but I get the feeling that deep down in that cold, cold heart of yours you like me."

"Is there something you need from me Newt? Aside from a reality check and a kick in the balls of course."

"Rude. What do we think of the new kid?"

"Oh, he seems lovely, great guy, interesting personality, good sense of humour – oh wait, I haven't fucking spoken to him yet how am I supposed to know?"

"Shucking."

"Excuse me?"

"Shucking, you know? Instead of the word fucking? Alby's trying to stop everyone from swearing so much"

When she didn't respond Newt kept talking, "Anyway, that's beside the point. Listen, I've been thinking."

"Oh, that explains why you look so tired!"

"That was uncalled for. I've been thinking, maybe we should try writing a note and putting it in the box."

"What, like a love letter? Feel free to let the shanks who put us here know how fucking-"

"Shucking"

"Shut up. How fucking thankful we all are to be here."

"Not a love letter, a note asking for supplies and stuff, and we see if they send them up."

Clara stopped suddenly, her eyebrows raising as she looked at Newt,

"Dammit."

"What?"

"I hate it when you have good ideas."

"I always have good ideas."

"And I never stop hating you. Come on, let's go find Alby."

Within about an hour they'd written a short list of specific items they needed in the glade, Frypan asked for wax paper, Gally for more building tools, and another boy named Jeff asked for some medical stuff, mainly for the slicers who were constantly injuring themselves. Of course, Minho decided to try his luck and snuck in 'A Map' although they all knew that they probably weren't getting one of those anytime soon. They dropped the note inside the box on top of some empty crates and closed the doors, watching as it descended into the seemingly endless black hole beneath it.