15 - Awake

Clara was woken up by someone gently shaking her shoulder, she slowly opened her eyes, which she noticed were dry and stinging from her crying the night before. Looking around for the source of the hand, her eyes met Minho's who was standing over her, smirking slightly.

"Mornin' shank. Sleep well? Nice pillow?" He asked, snickering to himself. Her face heated up as she realized how she'd fallen asleep, and she quickly stood up from the chair.

"What time is it?"

"Relax Sleeping Beauty, it's still early, nobody else is awake yet. How's he doing?"

"He's okay for now, still passed out. But I'm gonna need your help. Aaaand your bed." she responded, batting her eyelashes in an effort to convince the runner to loan his precious sleeping area. He valued sleep more than most, he needed the energy after all.

"What the shuck do you need my bed for?"

"Well Clint and Jeff might need the medical beds today, and Newt is unconscious, who knows how long for, AND even if he does wake up, he won't be able to walk around, so he needs a bed, and yours is the closest." Minho definitely wasn't pleased about the arrangement, but he cared too much about his friend to say no. He wasn't going to do it happily though, he huffed and crossed his arms, pouting slightly but nodding his head.

"Alright then help me move him ya big grump" She ordered. 

She walked to one side of the bed while the runner made his way to the opposite, they carefully lifted Newt's upper body and moved him towards the end of the bed. Clara held her breath, praying that the splint would hold. His leg slid off the edge of the bed and the splint kept it completely straight, she sighed in relief and smiled slightly. 

The pair struggled to carry Newt up the creaking stairs to Minho's room, despite his size the shank was deceptively heavy. But they managed to lug him into the room and softly placed him on the bed, and Clara propped a few pillows under his bad leg. After she finished, she turned to face the runner,

"Do you have to go into the maze right now?"

"No? It's still early, the doors haven't opened yet. Why?"

"I have to get him food. The shank's already skinny enough, and we don't really want him to die of starvation."

"Is this you actually caring about Newt or am I shucking dreaming?"

Clara punched the boy in the shoulder, harder than she needed to, before speaking again,

"No, I just wouldn't want to make a hassle for the Baggers. Now can you stay here while I fetch something for him?"

"God, you're so kind Clara. Yeah whatever, just hurry up. And get me something too, I'm starving."

She laughed as she briskly walked out of Minho's room and headed into the kitchen, luckily Frypan was up early getting ready to make breakfast for the Gladers.

"Hey, Fry! My favourite cook, my best friend!" She called out to the cook,

"What do you want Clara?" Fry responded, with love, of course, he had learned how to tell when wanted something from him.

"What, can't a girl just come and say hi to her best friend in the whole glade?" She said, trying to fake even a hint of innocence, clearly failing as the boy saw straight through her.

"You should know by now that flattery gets you nowhere with me."

"Fine whatever. Just break my heart, shank. Listen, I'm guessing you heard about Newt?"

"Yeah, Minho mentioned it yesterday. He broke his leg? What happened?"

"I have no idea actually, Minho said he just found him like that."

"Is he okay?"

"I mean he's unconscious, but he's not dead if that's what you were worried about. I was hoping you'd be able to get me some food for him. Just something small you know?"

"Are you – are you actually being nice to Newt?"

"No, I'm doing my job."

"Yeah, sure. Fine, Give me 10 minutes to get something for you."

"Thanks Fry."

The chef nodded and started working on the meal. Clara stepped outside the kitchen and walked onto the grass of the glade, the morning dew making her shoes slightly damp. She took a deep breath in, grateful for the fresh air, it felt like it had been hours since the last time she'd taken a breath. 

She closed her eyes, letting the sun warm her face. The sounds of the Gladers waking up and getting ready for the day began to fill her ears, boys laughing and chatting, showers sputtering and doors opening and closing. She sat down at one of the tables nearby, just taking a moment to try and recover from the past day's events, but she was startled by a tap on her shoulder, and she swung around to see Frypan carrying a small tray of food.

"Alright here it is. It's just simple tomato soup with some cheese sandwiches."

She jumped forward and hugged the boy, and he returned it with his free hand, chuckling.

"Thank you Fry, I'll bring the dishes back I promise. Love you, see you later, save some breakfast for me" 

She took the tray out of Frypan's hand and jogged back into the building, quickly stopping at the med room to grab some water and painkillers, and she made her way up to Minho's room. As she opened the door, she was greeted by the last thing she expected.

Newt was awake.