17 - No more lies

Clara groaned as she tossed and turned over in her bed, unable to find a comfortable position to sleep in, throwing the blankets covering her onto the floor. She gave up and jumped off the bed, rubbing her eyes. She walked out of the room as quietly as possible, closing the door behind her and sneaking down the stairs, trying desperately not to wake any of the boys downstairs. She cursed under her breath as every step creaked under her weight. 

Finally, she'd managed to make it into the kitchen, grabbing a glass and filling it with water, then she walked outside to sit down at one of the tables, but she stopped in her tracks when she noticed that someone else was standing outside a few meters away from the homestead.

"Newt?"

The boy jumped –sort of– leaning on one of the tables for support as he turned to look at her.

"What are you doing outside? You're meant to be on bed rest until we can get crutches from the box."

"Yeah, I couldn't stay in that buggin' bed anymore, I felt like I was going crazy. I needed to walk around."

"Well, you're making your injury worse, go back upstairs."

"Look sunshine, I'm doing just fine alright. See?" He spoke, limping around in a small circle before going back to lean on the table,

"You know what? Do whatever you want Newt, I don't care."

"Good that."

Clara felt Newt's eyes follow her as she sat down at one of the tables and kept drinking her water, deliberately taking as long as she could so she could watch him embarrass himself. She watched him attempt to walk around on his leg, failing miserably and after a few minutes she decided to break the silence,

"Why'd you lie?"

"Excuse me?"

"About your leg. Despite what you may think I'm not an idiot, I know that story you spewed about tripping and falling over the ivy was klunk. it's impossible to break your leg the way you did from something like that. So why did you lie?"

"Why do you care?"

"I don't, I just don't appreciate being lied to."

"I missed the part where that became my problem."

"You don't have to be so secretive all the time, just tell me the truth, you owe me that much."

"I don't owe you shit."

"Look I'm just trying to help you, Newt."

"Help me? You spent the last few months ignoring me every time I spoke to you, and you expect me to believe you suddenly want to help me?"

"I'm the one who saved your sorry ass when Minho dragged you back here half-dead! I think that deserves a little bit of trust from you."

"You don't deserve anything from me. Why can't you just mind your own business!" Newt yelled, stepping away from the table he was leaning on and closer to her. His face was turning red as his anger at the girl grew.

"It became my business when it was my job to fix you! Why won't you tell me?"

"Because it has nothing to do with you Clara, just leave it alone!"

"Stop being so goddamn stubborn and tell me what happened!"

"Stay out of it!"

"Just spit it out Newt!"

"I said stay out of it!"

"Just tell me!"

"I TRIED TO KILL MYSELF!"