12 - Backstabber

Alby stood in the council hall that was now filled with the glade's keepers, and Newt. He'd called a meeting to decide what they would do with Clara, who was still sitting in the pit.

"She's a runner Alby, technically she didn't break any rules, she's allowed to go into the maze!" Frypan was now arguing with their leader, trying to defend his best friend.

"He's right Alby, you said only runners were allowed to go into the maze, she didn't break that rule." Gally piped up from the back of the room,

"I'm aware of that, thank you. But I gave an order to the runners yesterday, nobody goes into the maze, and she deliberately disobeyed that order. She acted recklessly and selfishly, she-"

"Selfishly? She wanted to go find the greenie, I wouldn't call that selfish." Frypan interrupted, standing up from his seat.

"And she risked the safety of 3 other runners in the process!" Alby shouted at the cook, who unwillingly sat back down. "Clara made a dangerous decision, she risked her own life, not to mention Minho's, Ben's, and Alby's. She needs to learn that there are consequences to reckless actions." Alby spoke up, earning a few nods and mumbles of agreement from the boys in the room before continuing, "We'll keep with the usual method, everyone decides what they think her punishment should be and we'll vote on it. Newt, you were the last one with her before and after she went into the maze, what do you think." This caused a few snickers to escape from some of the boys, but they quickly shut up with a stern look from Alby. Newt cleared his throat slightly, standing up from his seat at the front of the hall,

"I agree with Alby, I think she acted recklessly, and she put people in danger. I think – I think she should be taken out of the runners." Newt spoke, before sitting down again. Newt knew that it was a harsh take, even though Clara had ignored Alby's orders she was still a runner and was allowed to go into the maze. And deep down he knew he was letting his developing feelings for the girl affect his reasoning, he remembers the fear that jolted his system when he saw the blood in the maze that could've belonged to her. He remembered how his heart dropped when he saw the blood dripping down from the cut on her forehead. Newt knew he wouldn't be able to live with himself if something happened to her, and this was the only way he knew how to prevent her from risking her life again.

"Clara's a runner, she didn't break any rules, I say she spends a week in the pit and a week with the Sloppers, then she goes back to running," Frypan spoke. The other keepers then either stated their ideas or agreed with someone else's, and then Alby called for the vote.

5 keepers, and Alby, voted in favour of Newt's idea, and 3 in favour of Frypan's, which meant that Clara was going to be kicked out of the runners.

"Alright. You guys are free to go, Gally go get Clara and bring her to me so I can tell her." The builder nodded and headed towards the pit, where he found the girl playing with a loose stone in the ground. She quickly stood up as he approached her, hoping for good news, but her heart dropped a little when she noticed the solemn look on his face. He unlocked the door and offered her a hand, which she grabbed, pulling herself out of the hole and dusting herself off and they started walking towards the council hall,

"Gally? Is it bad?" She asked, concerned about his silence,

"I'm sorry Clara, I tried to defend you." He answered and she looked forward again, she had no more questions on her mind.

They walked inside the council hall where Alby was sitting in one of the small in the front, standing up as they walked through the door. He nodded at Gally, who walked back outside, closing the door behind him, and leaving Clara alone with their leader. He motioned for her to sit in the chair opposite the one he was in. She slowly walked down the stairs, sitting down as he took his own seat again. He took a deep breath before looking up at the girl, who was seemingly emotionless, a blank look covering her face.

"Clara, you disobeyed a direct order from your leader and put the lives of yourself and 3 of your fellow runners at risk. The keepers and I have decided on a punishment for you by means of a vote."

Clara stared back at the boy, wringing her hands in her lap as she waited to hear what would happen to her, Alby looked down at the ground and back up at her before he continued,

"You're being taken out of the runners."

"What?"

"You're being placed with the med-jacks from tomorrow. And you're banned from entering the maze without my direct permission ever again." He finished. The girls face twisted in rage, her eyebrows furrowing and her cheeks turning red as she clenched her jaws.

"Are you fucking serious? I try to do a good thing, and this is what I get?"

"Sorry Clara, you made a reckless decision, and this is the consequence."

"This is fucking ridiculous, was this your idea?"

Alby didn't respond, continuing to stare down at the ground,

"Whose idea was it Alby?"

"You know it's a vote."

"Just fucking tell me!" She yelled, standing up from her seat.

"It was Newt's." Alby mumbled just loud enough for her to hear. She spun on her heels, storming out of the council hall to find the blonde boy.

"Clara!" She heard Alby calling her, but she didn't stop. Rage filled every inch of her body, the one person she trusted to have her back had stabbed her in it instead, the thought made her blood boil, and she clenched her jaw so hard she thought her teeth might break. She spotted the blonde sitting with his back to her at a table with Winston, Frypan and Zart and she made a beeline straight for the group.

"Uh oh. Newt, I think you have incoming." Winston said, nodding his head in her direction. But before he got the chance to turn around, she'd reached him, grabbing him with both hands by the collar and slamming him against the walls of the homestead, earning a few whistles and yells from the other Gladers. Frypan jumped up quickly, placing a hand on her shoulder to try and stop her but she shoved him back,

"Bloody hell Clara, what's your problem?" The blonde scoffed at her, his eyes flaring with anger and shock

"You're my problem you asshole, what the HELL did you think you were doing?"

"Yeah, you're gonna have to be a bit more specific than that."

"You said that I should be kicked out of the fucking runners, why?"

"Maybe because you're reckless, and you could've killed yourself, or me, or Minho and Ben, but apparently you lack the common sense to realize that!" He hissed, and Clara lifted him towards her slightly before slamming him against the wall a second time,

"Don't you DARE insult me right now, do you realize what you've done? I'm not allowed to go back into the fucking maze again."

"And you bloody well shouldn't, we can't have idiots like you running around the maze now, can we?"

"What was this really about Newt? Huh? You jealous that I was, that I AM better than you? Couldn't handle your fragile little ego being smashed to bits by a girl?"

"In your dreams sunshine."

"You're pathetic." Releasing her grip on Newt she tugged at the ivy bracelet he'd made her and ripped it off her wrist,

"Do me a favour. Take this-" She slammed the bracelet into the middle of his chest " -and shove it up your ass." She spat, turning around to walk away, but before she could take a step he reached forward, grabbing her wrist. Instantly she spun back around, swinging her fist through the air, punching him square in the jaw. He stumbled backwards slightly, eyes wide as he rubbed the spot where her hand had connected with his face.

"Touch me like that again and I'll throw you off those fucking walls myself." She spun around and stormed off, leaving a crowd of whispering boys behind her. Newt watched as she walked away from him, disappearing into the deadheads and guilt suddenly overwhelmed him, covering every inch of his body inside and out.