5 | Immortal Love

"We've got the results back in time," Dr

"We've got the results back in time," Dr. Miles announced with a warm smile, flipping through the medical forms on the clipboard she held. "And in the fine print here, it states that you are indeed pregnant."

Irish's eyes grew four sizes too big receiving the most shocking yet amazing news in the world. She was going to be a mother. For past several months, she had been keeping up with her birth control pills until one night of intense love making they recorded on the balcony of Michael's home. She forgot to take them afterward. Days turned into weeks and the sudden urge to vomit was a reoccuring symptom.

One morning when she was making breakfast for herself and Michael, she couldn't hold anything down. Since then, the aroma of certain foods upsetted her stomach. Not only that, the weight she gained was a lot more than what she gained months prior. Not that she was complaining. Michael even pointed it out by expressing his appreciation how sexy she looked. Although he joked at the thought of her being pregnant, today's clinic visit confirmed those jokes accurately.

She never thought after being with him for nearly a year—seven months to be exact—she would be with child. If anything, she knew that Michael would be ecstatic to be a father even if they both weren't trying for a baby this soon. Shit happens. She couldn't wait to get home to tell him.

"How far along am I?" she softly asked, running a hand smoothly across her flat tummy.

"You're four weeks, so the baby is still the size of a poppy seed. But over the course of the next six weeks you'll begin to see some development."

"Wow!" she gasped. "Um, will I be able to get an ultrasound done today?"

"Oh, definitely!" Dr. Miles enthused. "While you make yourself comfortable on the exam table, I'll go grab the machine."

Irish nodded. "Okay."

The moment Dr. Miles had left and returned with the ultrasound machine, she got everything set up along with the wand and cold gel that she gently spread all over Irish's stomach who sucked in a sharp breath from its coldness. Seeing her baby on the screen small and unnoticeable made the back of her scleras burn with tears of joy. Nine months began flashing before her eyes, thoughts of the type of mother she would be clouded her psyche and the gender piqued her curiosity. Regardless of what she and Michael agreed upon about enjoying the now with just the two of them, seeing their baby had her heart fluttering, loving the idea of a family. She was ready more than not.

After her clinic visit, she found her way to the front where the waiting area was to schedule a follow up appointment in a month. She was prescribed parental vitamins to pick up at the Walgreens Pharmacy she frequented. She glanced over her shoulder at Vena whose thumb was going to town, scrolling through her phone. With a sweet "thank you" to the receptionist, Irish approached Vena with her copied forms and ultrasound snapshots in hand and called out to her.