3 | Doing Too Much, Gone Too Far

"We gon' run that back from the top

"We gon' run that back from the top. I feel like you can give me a li'l more. I want you to put yo' all into this song, a'ight?" Michael told Courtney, the artist he discovered months ago through the talkback microphone.

"Yeah, I hear you."

"A'ight. From the top." His fingers moved controllers around—some being pushed up and some down—and pressed buttons to make adjustments. The introduction of the slow tempo Neo-Soul instrumental he produced resonated throughout the entire studio. The raspy, mellow chords of the saxophone complimented it by giving a sprinkle of Jazz he aimed for. He hired Mauro Cyprian, a saxophone legend for the job and was not disappointed with the outcome as he expected. Mauro was one of, if not, the greatest saxophonist in the world. Michael grew up heavily influenced by his compositions thanks to his father's wide range of musical taste.

Courtney's cue neared, and Michael listened as his head moved along with the music soothing his cochleas like the sweetest caress on skin. Her eyes closed, allowing the melody to consume her being as she sang like he knew she could. Her tone stood out almost sounding similar to Erykah Badu. He even dubbed her "Baby Badu" the night he saw her bartending at a club in Washington D.C. But she had her own flare that was distinctive for sure.

"On all night, quarter five, I be insane if I let you hit. I need you, should be here for my regretful morning..." Courtney's eyes remain closed with the Beats headphones halfway around her head full of 4A natural hair while holding one side of the earpiece against her ear. "Up late again, head on my chest, hand on my ass. Up late again, back it up on you, breathing fast. Up late again, tell me how is it when I back it up there, it up there uhmmm hmmm..."

Moments later, the song ended with the remaining graceful chords fading out to finalize the third take. Courtney was the name Michael called her considering it was her government name; she went by Ari Lennox now. He agreed it had a nice ring to it and would catch the attention of her growing fanbase. She started off with a simple EP on streaming platforms, working with amateur producers and writing here and there. She was super talented, and Michael couldn't pass up the opportunity of introducing her to Kamal, the CEO and founder of 2 Lyve Records.

She signed a record deal with help from Michael, making sure she hired a good contractual lawyer to go over the forms before signing her life away. He refused having her subjected to the "new artist curse" and not getting what she deserved. It wasn't to say Kamal wouldn't negotiate important factors on paper, but he was all about doing business fair and wanted these younger artists to be more aware of what they could get themselves into. Most try to get famous and rich too fast and it resulted in a bullshit contract that was hell to get out of. It was always imperative to educate the rookies on the dos and don'ts.

"That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" Michael exclaimed, satisfied with her delivery.

Her soft giggles resonated through the speakers of the talkback microphone. "Thanks, Jewlz. I really felt it this time."