33 | Phantasmagoric Dreams, Pt. 3

Michael carefully picked up the red coffee mug by its handle and brought it to his lips for another satisfying taste

Michael carefully picked up the red coffee mug by its handle and brought it to his lips for another satisfying taste. He sat it back down and relaxed his body into the black leather office chair, exhaling deeply. Taking a blast to 1997 had its good moments. Nathless, what happened to his father wasn't. It was a battle between does he begin after the fact he was murdered, what led to the night his body was found or both? Either way, it all would result to one thing he had to face after so long. He remembered so much from how the day started—AM to PM. It was like any ordinary day until his father received a phone call from his boss.

That was the beginning of the end.

Reuben sensed him stalling while deep in thought, so he took it upon himself to help. "I see you're kind of stomped. How about you start with how the day was? Begin there and work your way up."

Michael locked eyes with him through the camera and nodded. He exhaled again before speaking. "Well, that day was like any ordinary day—a Saturday. We were at the park, and pops wanted to have a barbecue there. I remember it like it was yesterday... Mama and Michonne had prepared the side dishes and homemade sweet tea, and I was always around pops, so I helped with grilling and seasoning the meat. He's the reason I know how to grill so well. He taught me young."

A ghost of a smile touched his lips. He zoned out reminiscing. It was like the memory of that day was displaying on a projector screen in front of him. It came close to being a scene out of a silent film. Everything moved but not an utterance transmitting through.

"See, pops was very big on family bonding no matter what it was even though his occupation took up most of his time, but he always made time for us. I loved that about him. He always kept his promises on what he was gon' do even if he had to miss out on a few things. That made me respect him more 'cause he made up for it. He never lied to us when it came to his promises. But, uh," he cleared his throat and continued, "we had the barbecue. The music was playing from the li'l stereo we brought along with us.

We were just having a good time vibing, laughing, dancing and running 'round playing, just being a carefree family. Looking back, though, it was the happiest I've seen my mama. And it's not to say she was never happy at all before but after losing him, she lost that spark that I never saw again since that year. She loved my father with all of her heart, and he loved her the same. They were together since their late teens. That day, you could feel their love radiating onto you. It was a beautiful thing to witness."

"Sounds like you and your wife."

"It does. I always aspired to have the same love they shared." Michael flashed a closed-lip smile. "Moving forward, um, we took a walk around the park or me and Michonne would play at the playground while they take a stroll by themselves. Everything was just perfect. It was when he received a phone call from Bone that would change everything."