37 | Fallen Rose Petals

Deep Dark Crimson Rose

This flower symbolizes despair and the inability to find joy or happiness after that, capturing the negative aspects of mourning experienced by loved ones.

_____

"Hello. Welcome to Harlem Records. How may I assist you today?" Sage greeted and looked up from the folder she was browsing and smiled. Then it dropped when she recognized the face of the young man she hadn't seen in years. "Josiah?"

His eyes widened then he relaxed them. "Damn. Sage, right?" He smiled. "You're Shahid's li'l sister."

She nodded. "Y-yeah. It's been years since I last saw you."

"Yeah, same. I didn't know you moved to L.A."

"Yeah." She nodded again, tucking a loose tendril behind her left ear. "North Carolina was good but wasn't great either. Seeked better opportunities elsewhere, so now I'm here."

Josiah licked his lips and nodded. He took a moment to admire her prepossessing features. Her deep brown hair with a few loose tendrils framing her round shape face was pulled back into a low ponytail. She had soft angled eyebrows that made her round chocolate orbits stand out and glimmer in the light. Her beautiful smile showed off her perfectly aligned pearly teeth. He never recalled her ever having to wear braces. Her nose was narrow but with a very prominent cartilage and in the left nostril was a gold hoop pierced through it.

Her cheekbones were fairly high letting him know she had just as strong Cherokee roots as Michael and Shahid. There was no denying their relation. Her skin looked so smooth to the touch as a shade of coffee with two tablespoons of creamer added. Josiah always thought she was attractive but damn, she was absolutely stunning. Her face card was immaculate, and he had seen a plethora of beautiful women throughout his teenage and adult life. Truth be told, she was more attractive than his ex-girlfriend. Leia was gorgeous—fine to a fault, but she wasn't Sage Love.

Just standing there had him thinking why he never attempted to date her. They were around the same age, and she was always a joy to talk to when they did cross each other's paths back then. Josiah sometimes traveled with Michael to North Carolina for family gatherings or just to visit randomly, so he was like family to the Loves. That could be why he never made a move. However, being in her presence right now, he felt a shift in the atmosphere.

Despite what he had going on with Leia, Sebastian and Andrea last year, he was ready to put the past behind him and move on with his life. Was he still hurt? Of course. Healing took time. He invested his time and devoted himself to a woman who didn't give a shit about him in the end. However, he knew there was a woman out there for him that wouldn't ever do what she did to him. He didn't know much about Sage but enough to know that she wasn't Leia. He was curious to know more about the beauty if she allowed him access into her world.