Chapter I

Mirena's POV

I sat at my dressing table staring at my pale face. My mother was babbling on behind me but I have never much cared for her lectures on men. She always goes on about how pretty I look with my long blonde hair reaching my waist and my rose pink lips and says 'There will be men queuing up from all over the kingdom to gaze upon your beauty...' I mean I know that's the kind of thing that mothers are supposed to say, but I of all people know that Arya is the real beauty of this town... Not that I mind of course! I don't care for vanity and beauty much, but I've seen the way the prince looks at her. As if she were some kind of angel. He'll never look at me that way, and sometimes I wish I could yell at my mother and tell her that I don't care for men from all over the kingdom because the only man I'll ever want is Lord Impaler, the prince of Transylvania and the man - quite literally - of my dreams. I sigh and stare at my hands.
"Mirena have you been listening to a single word I've been saying!?!?"
"Yes mother" I lie fairly convincingly if I do say so myself...
"So you agree with what I said?"
"Yes mother"
"Well clearly you weren't listening because if you had been then you would never have agreed with me-"
"You don't know that," I yell defiantly.
"Mirena... I said would you rather a warthog for a mother... Clearly you would not agree with that now would you?"
I know it was a rhetorical question but I couldn't help myself... "I wouldn't be so sure." I mutter.
"Right that's it young lady you shan't be going to the masquerade ball tonight! If you had held your tongue and were more polite to me, I would not be having to issue such a punishment, but you leave me with no choice. I do everything for you and this is how you treat me???"
Aaaaarrghhhh. That was my one chance to try and make the prince see me for me and not as just another common girl. I grit my teeth as my mother stalked out of the room.
I don't care what she says.
I'm going.