Chapter II

Mirena's POV

As I hear my mother's footsteps ascending the stairs, (my room being at the bottom of the house) I open my wardrobe and slip my hand in to draw out my gorgeous crimson red silk dress. It ran like water through my hands. I slid it on, careful not to stretch or tear the delicate fabric. Just as I'm opening my window to make my escape there comes a knock at the door.
Reluctantly I turn around and cautiously call out "Who's there?"
"'Tis me, my lady" Calls back a familiar voice. I remove myself from the window ledge and glide to the door sliding across the bolt and creaking open the door as I got there.
"Grandfather!" I cry and fling my arms around my best friend and dearest teacher. He steps into my room and I see his gaze hover over the window and then look back at me.
"I knew telling you those fairytales when you were a child would do you no good!"
I giggle and ask "Why what's wrong?"
"What's wrong is that you, little miss, are sneaking out to go meet that prince of yours!"
Grandfather was the only one I had told about Prince Vlad, and I wanted to keep it that way.
"Well you're the one who told me to always follow my heart! And anyway they weren't exactly fairytales were they..."
"Of course they were-"
"You told me that there are lots of fairies in New Orleans that are up for it... Number one there are no such things as fairies, and number two it was your fault you told me." He threw his head back and let out a roar of laughter.
"I suppose that was the story you would remember wasn't it?" Grandfather wiped his teary eyes still laughing with his face so crinkled up that I could see all his lines of age painted across his face.
"Look, Grandfather you know how much I want to stay and chat but I really need to go. You're not going to tell mother are you?"
"I suppose not, as long as you don't tell your mother that I told you that particular fairytale," he smiles, "just say that I read you beauty and the beast or something." I smiled and turn my back to leave when Grandfather clutches my hand. I feel him press something cold into my palm, but when I turn to ask him what it is, he's already left the room and shut the door behind him. I open my hand, and find a silver pin in the shape of a dragon with a ruby in the place of its eye. I twist it into my hair which is done up on top of my head, and check myself over in the mirror. The pin matches my dress perfectly. Leaning my hand to the window I push it open and gathering my dress into my arms, I climb through.