Chapter V

Mirena's POV

I float around the dance floor with my head full of clouds. Drifting from one partner to the next, not noticing their faces or the polite comments they make on my gown. As the current song draws to a close I step back from the other dancers to take a rest - I had been dancing for hours.
I spotted my friend, Ingrid, across the room. She sniggered as I practically skipped up to her, and asked "What have you done?"
"I haven't done anything," I replied nonchalantly, and - after looking at her distrusting expression - added "honest!"
"Well that's a lie because: one, you weren't allowed to come - I distinctly remember having a conversation with your mother but an hour ago which included me begging on my knees on your front doorstep for her to let you come, and two, you're only ever that happy if you go riding with me... or if the pri-" she gasps and then squeals, I give her a sly crooked smile. "No... Really? He noticed you! Awwwwhh that's so romantic!" Ingrid sighs and then proceeds to quiz me on what happened and how I escaped my mother.
"Look calm down he only looked at me..."
"You're telling ME to calm down?!? You practically cartwheeled across the room to tell me this!"
"I know..." Now I'm the one sighing. "Isn't he the dreamiest..." I mutter.
Glancing at Ingrid's face, she looks like she's been petrified. What's the matter? I'm about to say, when I hear a smooth chocolatey, yet husky, voice behind me.
"Might I ask whom is the dreamiest?"
Slowly I swivel on my heels and immediately take a step back when I find the face of the prince inches from mine. I quickly whip my head around to check if he was talking to someone else. Ingrid was still in shock and there wasn't anyone else hovering near us. Besides, he was staring straight at me. I spin around again and know it has to be me whom he had questioned. I pause trying to think of something to say as his rich, dark gaze stayed fixed on my face. I furrow my brows as I desperately try to come up with a name, any name to try and cover this embarrassment.
"No one!" I cry with haste, however I presume it was extremely obvious from my quick response that that clearly wasn't the case.
Vlad smirked and I couldn't help but let out a small smile. What he said next, however, completely stunned me into silence.