THREE

HUNTER

Nothing was more frustrating than being late.

Actually, that's a lie.

Nothing is more frustrating than being late on your very first day on the job with a new team.

Which is exactly where I am at right now in life.

Leaving my place on time, even giving myself extra time, knowing I hated walking into a room when people were already there wasn't enough to combat the traffic that came from a wreck that had me so backed up on the highway that I considered walking the rest of the way, surely I would get there faster that way at this point.

"Come on, this is a fucking joke." Following the directions barking through my speakers, I turn where the GPS sends me. Large green trees line the sides of the streets and even some wildflowers take up space throughout some of the landscape as I finally make it a few miles away from my destination. "I could just speed a little, I'd be there a little less late.."

Pushing my foot on the gas, feeling the engine accelerate, I speed down the street, feeling grateful I'm only going to be about ten minutes late and then we can get started and—

Oh, fuck off.

Blue and red lights flash in my rear view mirror as I pull over and groan, leaning my head back with my eyes shut for only a moment before leaning forward to get my insurance out of the glove box and reaching into my purse for my wallet, pulling out my ID and waiting.

"You know you are breaking the law by speeding?" The harsh voice of the squatty looking police officer makes me jump, his dark eyes boring into me. "The speed limit on this road is forty miles an hour, I clocked you at forty six."

Clearing my throat, I looked him in the eye before responding. "I'm running late, I'm sorry."

"Yeah I'll bet you are. Running late to a boyfriend's house?" I feel my skin heat up under his gaze, wishing I had started a high speed chase just to avoid him at the way his eyes linger on my chest for just a second too long. "License and registration."

Not even trying to hide it, I roll my eyes in the officer's face as I shove my paper and identification out of the window, ready to just get this over with so I could be even more late.

What looks better to your new boss?

Being late because of a wreck or being late because of a wreck and getting pulled over to receive a speeding ticket?

I'm not sure but I sure can't wait to find out.

As soon as I realized I was going to be running behind because of the traffic I sent off a text message to Will, explaining what was going on. He was quick to reply that it wasn't a big deal, stating that Niall wasn't there yet and he understood.

It didn't matter, being late was one of my biggest pet peeves and therefore it immediately made me angry at myself for falling into that category — knowing how much of an impression I needed to make since my ass wasn't even an original member of Niall's team to begin with.

The police officer still wasn't back as I watched a black Range Rover speed past me, easily going faster than I was and it made me spew of a string of curses out loud that my measly six miles an hour over the speed limit got me pulled over while Mario Andretti over here is easily clocking fifteen over.

Waiting what felt like another eternity, I looked up in my rear view mirror to finally see the man bringing back my stuff, holding in my attitude as he handed me my license and insurance, along with a ticket.