FORTY FIVE

Niall

Five Years Later

Fuck.

Standing here, on this stage, I clutch the award to
my chest.

A grammy.

I look out at my peers, seated around the tables and my eyes find the ones that calm me even in the roughest storms.

My wife.

The love of my life.

The mother of my children.

Hunter.

Sitting at the table in a gown made of the softest blue fabric, her auburn hair pulled back, I can't help but smile as I look at her.

Not to mention, the sight of Jude sitting in her lap, playing with his own toys. Just like his mom he has dark auburn hair, but his eyes?

Blue.

Just like mine.

Smiling at me, Hunter moves her hand and rubs it over her swollen belly and when the light reflects off her wedding ring, I have to reach up to catch a tear at the corner of my eye before it falls across my cheek.

Everything I've ever accomplished, this award in my
hand, none of it comes close to looking at my
family.

"Wow, um... I don't really know what to say." Holding the award up, I smile. "This is obviously a huge, huge honor. I want to thank everyone that helped put the album together and everyone who worked on it with me. I want to thank everyone who listened to the album, who bought the album, who came to see me on tour. There's so much love that I have for the people that have made this life possible for me.

"All of that said... I want to thank someone who has been with me for a long time now, someone who has seen the best parts of me and the worst parts of me. To my wife, Hunter. To our son, Jude... To our girl, Elliott... This album? I wrote this album about what it felt like to learn to become a man that they deserve. What it's like being a father who loves unconditionally.

"Because of them all of this is possible. My entire life I owe them. Everyday I wake up thankful that she chose me, that Hunter chose me when she could have chosen anyone else. So thank you to my beautiful wife — my beautiful children. I love you."

Choking up, I lift the award above my head before blowing a kiss to Hunter as she stands up, clapping for me while Jude colors next to her — looking up and giving her a big smile.

This is the life I was always meant to live.

I was meant to love Hunter.

I was meant to be the best father.

Making music was just a plus for me, something I realize now.

I get shuffled around backstage and all I want to do is get back out there, to press my lips into Hunter's as I feel our baby kick in her belly. To pull my son into my lap and color with him as the rest of the awards are given out.

When I finally get back to my table, the first thing I do is scoop Jude up in my arms and wrap Hunter up in a kiss — who cares what people say about it.

Gently placing her hand against my cheek, there's nothing I would ever be able to do to hide the smile on my face.

"You did it, Niall." Hazel eyes sparkle as she looks at me. "You fucking did that."

Shaking my head, I look between the two of them and place my palm across her belly, feeling Elliott as she moves around. "No, we did it. You. The kids. This wasn't just me."

And that's the truth.

Hunter stepped back into the studio with me and helped me produce our album.

The album we used the sound of Jude playing around on my piano.

The album we used the sound of Elliott's heartbeat from an ultrasound.

The album I got to record Hunter laughing, putting it at the end of the song I wrote about her.

The song I wrote about us.

From the very first day that I saw Hunter, I knew she was going to change my life.

Driving home, I held her hand in mine, bringing it up to my lips to place a kiss against her soft skin. "Thank you."

"Why are you thanking me?" She laughs.

"Because without you, my life wouldn't be the same." Pulling into the driveway, I grab a sleeping Jude from his car seat and let him snuggle into me. "I love you."

We put Jude to bed before making our way to our bedroom, the soft lighting playing off Hunter's skin as she changes into a pair of pajamas.

"Niall, I just want you to know how proud I am of you." Wrapping her arms around my neck, she places a kiss to my jaw. "I know you say none of this could have happened without me or the kids, but you have to give yourself credit too. You are an incredible husband and father."

Pulling her as close as I can, her belly at seven months pregnant often making it a challenge, I smile as I press a kiss to her lips. "I've always known, Hunter."

Looking up at me with the eyes that have healed my soul in more ways than one, she grins. "Known what?"

"I've always known from the start... That it ends with you and me."

_______

That's all she wrote 🥲🥲

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and live these characters with me. Writing this was a struggle for me at times but I loved them so much.

Love you so much and I'll see you soon.

😉

-Alex
🍀

-Alex🍀