chapter twenty three

Aife and Teresa stumbled out of  the trashed lab, Teresa slightly slumped against Aife, her black hair covering her face like a shield before she swiftly brought her hand to brush it away

Aife and Teresa stumbled out of  the trashed lab, Teresa slightly slumped against Aife, her black hair covering her face like a shield before she swiftly brought her hand to brush it away. Aife's face was twisted into a slight grimace at the contact, her arm wrapped around the girl to keep her standing. When they came into the hall, they were met with Thomas curled up on the floor, fresh cuts littered across his face as he panted heavily. Across from him, stood Janson, a gun in his grip. It was pointed at Thomas. No one moved, and Aife could hear a sizzling noise that reached her ears. No one had expected an explosion to hit the building.

Aife lost balance, her body landing on the ground with a thump as the sound of shattering glass reached her ears. Her arms went over her head to protect herself from any flying debris. Sparks now fell from the lights above their heads, Thomas grunted as he stood up, stumbling past Janson's weakened body and over to Aife and Teresa.

"Are you alright?" He whispered hoarsely, Aife quickly nodded her head, gripping on the hand that he had extended to her as she pulled herself up. Teresa pushed herself off the ground, waving for the two to follow her before she reached in her pocket. Aife watched as she led them down the hallway, a small vial now in her grasp. Just before they turned the corner, Aife glanced back, and her eyes widened as she saw Janson now kneeling, his gun aimed toward the trio.

"Thomas!" She shouted, shoving the boy out of the way, along with Teresa. The sound of the weapon reached Aife's ears as it fired, and she couldn't help but momentarily screw her eyes shut. Aife  shoved them till they were behind the closed doors of yet another lab. She could hear the muffled banging on glass, and she whipped her head to her right to find cranks being held captive, ready to be examined. 

"We need to get out of here, quickly." Teresa rushed, brushing a chunk of hair away from her frame.

Aife turned to Thomas, her thin eyebrows drawn together as she noticed his back remained towards her. Her head tilted slightly as she reached forward, placing her hand on her broad shoulder as he slowly turned around.

His chin was dropped into his chest, his breathing growing rapid as he held onto his abdomen. Aife's hazel eyes traveled down, and they widened once she spotted blood printed on his shirt. It stained his hands, and it grew more and more as he pulled his palm away to catch a glance at it.

"Oh, God. . ." Aife muttered.

At that, teresa looked up, her jaw falling slack.

"Thomas?"

Just as she said his name, the boy slumped into Aife's arms as the building shook, a grunt tumbling from his lips as the two fell against a counter. Teresa ran over to the two, crouching down in front of them. Aife's hand traveled to the bottom of his shirt, and she didn't hesitate before peeling it away from his skin, her eyes falling on the blood covered wound.