chapter twenty four

Aife could feel the light breeze brush against her flushed cheeks, pushing her whips of raven hair out of her face

Aife could feel the light breeze brush against her flushed cheeks, pushing her whips of raven hair out of her face. she allowed her eyes to flutter shut, taking in a deep breath as the chatter around her filled her ears. the sound of waves crashing against each other made her chest warm, and she watched as a group of boys moved a large piece of wood across the land. this was it. this was their save haven. she couldn't believe it. she truly couldn't. all this time, she was so convinced that it didn't exist, and now? she could go to sleep without having to worry that she would get torn to bits. their new home was beautiful. multiple huts and hammocks were set up for the survivors, and a light mist that fell from the ocean occasionally covered the lands.

   she could feel the string that was wrapped around her neck, the same one that new gave her. although it was a thin string, it was like a large weight that held her down.

she and Minho sat on a large rock, a knife in their hands as they carved away at wood pieces. the silence was comfortable. feeling minho stand up, her head lifted, seeing his gaze set on a familiar raven headed boy. at the sight of him, she quickly dropped the knife in her hands, wiping her palms against her thighs as she and the boy stepped closer.

thomas was awake.

Brenda and Frypan had fallen behind them, and as soon as Aife was close enough, she was quick to rush forward, wrapping her arms around the boys neck. she could feel him stumble, before hesitantly wrapping his arms around her lower torso and squeezing her tight, her body now pressed into his. he hid his face in her neck, and she could feel his breath ticking her flesh. they soon released, and she could see the tears quickly gathering in his eyes.

    he looked past her and stared at minho, and the korean boy didn't think twice before he brought the boy in for a hug as well.

   time seemed to have flown by as Aife showed him around, introducing all of the stations to the boy and showing their new set up. soon, everyone in the haven was gathered around a large fire, watching as vincent spoke out.

   "we have come a long way together. so many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible," Aife dropped her head to her lap, her fingers toying with each other as she recalled the losses. she could feel a palm rub her shoulder blades, and she knew it was her brother, Axel, "your friends. your family. . . so here's to the ones who couldn't be here. here's to the friends we lost. this place is for you." he held up his cup, everyone who was listening following his actions.

   "for all of us. but this. . ." he held a small blade in his hand and pointed to a large slab of rock behind him, "this is for them. so in your own time. in your own way. come make your peace. and welcome to the safe haven!" cheers filled the air as the young ones celebrated their life, and the lives of those that were lost. Aife brought her hand up, swiftly wiping away the tear that managed to escape. she tried her best to ignore the way that she and thomas' legs brushed against each other, neither of them bothered to move. people began to chatter and disperse once again, exchanging words with those that they would now live with. getting to know one another.