.Chapter Twenty-Three.

Eveyln's school memorial decorations and support posters had been stashed away overnight. It was all put in a practically useless and deserted hallways only used for making out during lunch periods. 

Her yearbook photo, blown up in size, hung above dusty third-place trophies dating back to the early 70s. The blue plastic wreaths the volleyball team made already had a thin layer of dust settling on the fake petals. 

Every sign of her, including the stickers with her picture on it, were gone. 

Nathan couldn't decide how he felt about it, but despite all evidence of her gone from school, he still saw her everywhere. He couldn't turn a corner without memories slamming into him like a freight train. 

By the vending machines- quick, stolen kisses and pressing the CHANGE RETURN buttons in the hope of a quarter. The library brought memories of watching her read, and the way her fingers played with her hair when she became absorbed in a book. 

Her locker, number 243, no longer had unlit candles resting in front of it. Nathan could almost believe that Evelyn would be there after fifth period. He would've snuck up behind her and kissed the back of her neck; she would giggle and tell him to stop distracting her. When the locker opened, he'd play with her magnet letters while she complained about Math class. 

But she wasn't there, and would never be again.

Sandra sat at Nathan's table during lunch in Evie's old spot. A couple of times he had turned to the left to say something, only to realize that Evelyn wasn't sitting there. 

Every time he turned around to see Sandra's face instead, it felt like someone punched him in the gut. He couldn't help but fear that he was going to lose Evie forever. Once she was gone, would he forget about her? Would he forget how she smelled like apples or how her laugh sounded?

He considered being selfish, but then shame would well up in his throat. She was going to leave him either way, but passing on was the best option for her. He would always do what's best for her.

Even if it meant giving up his life. 

|<>|

Sandra was talking animatedly beside Nathan at the lunch table, but her words didn't register in his mind. He was lost in his own thoughts, trying to remember where he had been the night Evie disappeared. 

"Nathan?" There was a slight nudge on his shoulder. 

He looked up from his uneaten spaghetti, an unfocused look on his face. He blinked and gave a half-hearted smile. 

"Yeah?"

Sandra's face fell, her smile turning downwards in the corners. "You weren't listening, were you?" 

"No. Sorry. I've just been tired lately. That's all."

"Oh." She tucked a curl behind her ear, unsure what to say next. "I was just wondering if you wanted to volunteer to help the volleyball team."

Nathan frowned. "Volunteer?"

"Yeah." Sandra visibly perked up. Her back straightened, and the smile returned to her face. "We're raising money by making a haunted house. We already have permission from some counseling center to use their building."

A counseling center?

"It has the perfect look to it already," she rambled on. "There's this hallway that looks just like it should be in an insane asylum."

A heavy stone plummeted in Nathan's stomach. "Why a haunted house? Why can't we do, like, a bake sale or something?"

She laughed. "Halloween is in two weeks."

"Oh."

A sense of foreboding tickled the back of his mind. There could be another counseling office in town. But Nathan knew he was fooling himself.

"So? What do you think?"

She gazed up at him with blue eyes so similar to Evelyn's he found himself saying, "Yes."

Instantly, he felt like smacking himself. 

"Hey what about us? What do you think we are? Hoodlums?" Blake looked offended across the table. 

Sandra blushed. "Of course you, and Aeron if he wants, can volunteer," she told them. "I just didn't think- I mean-"

Blake laughed. "I don't blame you. But I have to get my volunteer hours in before graduation." He elbowed Aeron. "He does, too."

Aeron glared at Blake before returning his attention to his half-wilted salad. 

"Nathan? There was something else I wanted to ask you..." Sandra trailed off, pink coloring her cheeks. 

Aeron's fork paused halfway to his salad. 

"Well there's the Halloween Dance the night before Halloween. You can dress up and, well, that's not the point. I was just wondering if you wanted to go. With me."

Nathan froze. That was the last thing he expected to hear. HIs eyes flickered to Blake. 

Say yes, he mouthed. He rose an eyebrow when Nathan didn't respond and tilted his head at Sandra. Answer her. 

Nathan swallowed. "Um... sure."

Sandra beamed. "Alright. I'll text you later." She stood up and picked up her tray. "I have a paper to turn in. See you guys later."

Once she was gone, Blake whistled. 

"Dude! You're a chick magnet!"

"What?"

"Don't act like you don't notice. GIrls practically throw themselves at you. How do you do it?"

Nathan shook his head. "You're seeing things," he said. "Girls don't throw themselves at me."

Aeron spoke up. "I don't know. I mean, how did you get Evelyn?"

Everyone at the table froze. Even Blake looked shocked that Aeron had dared to say her name. 

Nathan's defenses flew up. "You're a dick, you know that?"

Aeron shrugged. "So I've been told."

Nate shook his head in disgust. He gathered his stuff and disappeared, leaving his tray on the table. 

"Dude," Blake said. 

"What?"

Blake gave a disgruntled sigh. "Not cool." She stacked Nathan's tray on top of his and left, leaving Aeron alone at the table. 

A/N: Here's the next chapter! I hope you guys enjoy it! Let me know if there's anything wrong or should be fixed.

Vote/Comment/Follow!

-Sophia ^_^