.Chapter Eight.

Sage’s hair was pinned back from her face, stray strands of hair slipping out of the ponytail and framing her thin face. A loose curl fell in front of her eyes, and she pushed it away with the back of her hand.

Her hands were covered in lemon scented bubbles and warm water. The washing machine broke, and the nearest Laundromat was in the town over.

She twisted the handle, and the water shut off. Drying her hands, she realized that none of Nathan’s clothes had been in the wash.

The stairs creaked with every step Sage took. One of her hands slid along the polished banister, the other along the toffee colored walls.

The door to Nathan’s room was slightly ajar. She knocked softly, and when no reply came, she opened the door.

Bare walls greeted her eyes, along with a bare bed. Clothes were strewn about the room. An annoyed sigh escaped Sage’s lips, and she bent to retrieve the discarded clothes.

She scooped up the clothes in her arms and carried them down the stairs. Carefully, she felt for every step with her feet, the clothes restricting her view.

She reached the kitchen and turned on the sink again, letting it fill with warm water. She absentmindedly threw a shirt into the water and scrubbed at it.

A curl escaped from behind her ear, and she reached up to push it back. That’s when she noticed it.

Her hand was coated in red.

In horror, she glanced at the water in the sink. It was a dark red with dirt swirling around in the currents of water.

She stumbled back.

Horrifying questions popped into her head, the possibilities of every one making her sick to her stomach.

Her hands trembled and shook as her delicate fingers picked up the gray shirt. Blood and dirt caked the cotton.

She flung the shirt back in disgust and horror. It landed on the tiled floor in front of the sink. Her hand clamped over her mouth, silencing her screams. Tears welled up in her eyes, and a single one escaped, leaving a track down her cheek.

Every second dragged by, like Time decided to take it easy. A headache pounded against the inside of her skull, making her wince in pain.

Why was Nathan’s shirt covered in blood and dirt? Is it possible that it could’ve killed Evelyn?

Sage swallowed back a forming lump in her throat. There could be a reasonable explanation, right?

With shaking hands, she picked the shirt up off the floor and put it back in the sink.

Don’t think about it, she told herself. Just cleaning an ordinary shirt.

Once the blood was washed out, she put it in the laundry basket with the rest of the wet clothes.

It didn’t happen. It was just a figment of my imagination, she chanted.

But the blood stuck under her nails said otherwise.

|<>|

    Nathan stepped into the locker room, the stench of sweat and heavy deodorant wafting into his nose. His hands clutched the strap of his track bag tightly, the blue material rubbing against him palm.

    “Hey! It’s Nate!” a boy yelled. His green eyes lit up and a smile bestowed his face.

    “Hey, Mark,” Nathan replied. Her gave a curt nod, and excited voices filled the air.