.Chapter Twenty-Eight.

Nate was plunged into a murky darkness. Images flickered like snapshots to his left and right: birthdays, him riding a bike, running through the woods. A single picture hovered in front of him, and he inched closer. 

It was a picture of him and Evie and Blake and Aeron, all sitting around their lunch table. Dark tendrils of smoky substance curled around the edges of the image. 

He reached out. His fingers hovered above the picture before he took a deep breath and touched it. His stomach lurched into his throat and he became aware of his feet leaving the ground. The world went black. 

|<>|

It was the beginning of September, but the students couldn't let go of summer. Girls still defiantly paraded around in their shorts and tanktops, and guys had no problem with it. School was still new and fresh and homework-free. Even the teachers didn't want to let go. 

Evelyn sat next to Nate, obvious distaste on her face as a girl walked by in short-shorts and platform sandals. 

He nudged her shoulder with his and she jumped, tearing her eyes away and focusing on the boys around the table. Her boys. 

Nate squeezed her hand underneath the table and she squeezed back. She smiled up at him and warmth bloomed in his chest. 

Across the table, someone cleared their throat. "Nathan. Focus. We have to get her to agree."

He looked up at Aeron and grinned. "I'm using my charm on her."

Evie scoffed beside him and pulled her hand away. He frowned as she rested her chin on it. All three boys' eyes were on her, and Nate knew she was enjoying every second of it. They all watched, transfixed, as she twirled a strand of hair around her finger. She was teasing them, making them wait for her answer. 

"Well..." She paused, waiting to be urged to continue. 

"Evie, just say it."

"Fine." She crossed her arms. "I'll do it."

Blake gave a hoot, and Blake and Nate exchanged high fives. 

"Wait. I wasn't done."

They paused. 

"I will go as long as you guys aren't idiots, will teach me properly, and will buy me ice cream afterwards."

"Deal."

The boys erupted into chaos again, and she rolled her eyes. "You guys are idiots."

"Well I'll be your idiot," Nathan murmured, planting a soft kiss on her shoulder. She smelled like green apples like always. 

She giggled and pushed him away. "Stop."

She twisted her body out of his reach, and he playfully captured her again. He caught Blake watching them. Something between annoyance and anger settled on his face, and Nate couldn't help but think he was upset with him and Evie. But then Blake smiled when he caught Nate's eye, and it was forgotten. 

|<>|

Aeron's blue Ford always had a distinct smell to it, like cloves and vanilla and cologne. It wasn't a bad smell. On the contrary, it comforted Nathan. It reminded him of long drives through the country side with the windows rolled down. 

Aeron pulled up the truck in front of Evie's house. She poked her head out a window, eyes bright and hair a mess. 

"I'll be right there!"