.Chapter Eighteen.

Dread coiled in Nathan’s stomach like a pit full of vipers and his heart hammered away in his chest. It was like the ticking down of a bomb. His hands grew damp with growing fear. He swallowed hard. He did not want to go to Aeron’s party.

                “Are you sure we should go? It’s not too late to turn back.”

                “What’s up with you, man?” Blake cast a quick glance out of the corner of his eye. “I’ve never seen you this nervous before.”

                Nathan watched the tree speeding by, imagining the car slamming into one. Images of twisted metal and smoke flashed behind his eyes. That would’ve been more preferable than where they were going. “Well Aeron and I aren’t on good… speaking terms right now.”

                “Dude, you’ll be fine.” The car pulled onto a gravel road. “You and Aeron have been friends forever. Besides,” he grinned, “this is a party. Get him drunk, and you guys are best friends again.”

                Up ahead, Aeron’s house loomed.

                His house was the perfect place to throw a party. Sitting on the very fringes of the school district, neighbors weren’t close enough to complain about the noise.

                Nathan stared gloomily at the crowds of teenagers walking into the house. Pulsating music vibrated the car windows. Flashing blue lights lit up the half drunk high schoolers loitering on the front lawn.

                Blake pulled the car next to the others in the grass. “Come on,” he said. “Let’s go have some fun.”

|<>|

                The instant Nathan walked through the door, he was assaulted with the smell of cheap beer, sweat, and heavy perfume. His nose scrunched up in disgust. Nathan never had much experience with alcohol, except for the one time Blake, Aeron and him had snuck a bottle of whisky.

                Feeling incredibly out of place, Nathan retreated to the corner of the room. The shadows masked his face as he watched the crowd. A couple made out in the opposite corner of him, while another couple in front of him began to grind. Nathan looked away embarrassed.

"Hey, Nathan."

Nathan jumped. Sandra grinned at him, two drinks in hand. Her hair was curled, something sparkly holding a few pieces away from her face.

"Here." She smiled and handed a red plastic cup to him.

"You didn't spike it, did you?" Nathan asked. He accepted the cup with a teasing grin.

"Nah," she said. She pushed a few curls out of her eyes. "I brought my own drink. It's safe."

Nathan nodded. "Yeah. That's what Blake did. He says it "charms the ladies" over he fact he didn't spike it."

Sandra looked over where he nodded at. Blake stood surrounded by girls. He said something, winked, and the group of girls laughed. He gestured to the unopened bottle of soda.

"Ah. So that’s how you get girls.” Sandra laughed and leaned forward. “Anyway, how are you?”

“You know.” He shrugged. “It’s not really my scene, but Blake wanted to come.”

“To be honest, this isn’t really my scene either.” A warm hand touched his arm. “You want to get out of here? I don’t mean sex, but…” Red creeped up her neck.

Nathan had to admit that she was pretty. Any fool could see that. But even after admitting it, he couldn’t help but think Evelyn was prettier.

His free hand rubbed the back of his neck as he said, “Sorry, but it’s too soon.” He handed the drink back and slipped away.

Dodging dancing people and and spills on the floor, he headed for the staircase. A giggling couple went up, and Nathan balked. Not the place to escape the crowd, except...

Nathan went up the stairs. He reached the second floor and passed by bedrooms, a blush creeping up his neck.

Aeron's door, boldly stating STAY OUT was shut. No one ever dared to go in there. The room was Aeron's only exception to his "no rule" parties.

The door swung open on silent hinges, as if the door had been waiting for him to open it up. The room was submerged in darkness. Faint moonlight shone in square patches around the room. Soft rock music played on a radio beside the bed.

Nathan shut the door behind with a soft click.

Double glass doors waited for him, tempting him with the promise of peace. He slid the door open, slipping outside. Music still trembled the house, but it hardly fazed him. He sat down on the ledge, legs sticking out of the railing.

Fresh West Virginia air cleared out the leftover beer and sweat clogged in his nose. Resting his head against the railing, he closed his eyes.

Deep breath in through the nose. Exhale out the mouth.

His emotions were scattered between the Sandra situation and the fear of what Aeron would do to him. Slowly, his worries drained out of him.

He opened his eyes.

Something below him caught his attention.

Walking around the perimeter of the house was Evelyn.

“Evie?” he whispered.

She looked up at him, eyes wide. “What are you doing here?”

“I should be asking that!” Nathan said. “What are you even doing?”

“I-” She stared down at her feet. “Fine. I was investigating this Aeron guy.”

“What? Why?”

“I told you! He sounds weird!”

“Evelyn…” He was cut off by the glass door opening behind him.

“Nathan? What are you doing here?”

Nathan spun around. Aeron stood fuming in the doorway, obviously trying to keep his temper in control.

“I’m just… I wanted some peace from the crowd.” Nathan swallowed hard, his eyes staring at Aeron’s shoes.

“You know I have a ‘no entering my room’ rule at parties.” His voice was calm. Scarry.

Nathan hopped to his feet, casting one last glance at Evelyn. He brushed past Aeron, their shoulders brushing. As Nathan walked away, he saw Aeron peering off his balcony at something below. 

Alright, guys... I have been having major writers block. So I am SO sorry if this was crap. Better chapters are coming! 

Question of the day: Who is the murderer now? Aeron? Nathan? Or someone you haven't met yet...?

-Sophia ^_^