.Chapter Thirty-One.

A bundle of nerves squirmed in Nathan's gut as he scanned the school parking lot for Blake's truck. It was the following Monday; two more days until Halloween. Just thinking about the holiday made panic claw up his throat unknown reasons. 

"His car's not here," Sage said from behind him. 

Mixed emotions confronted Nathan: relief, confusion, worry, fear. They hadn't heard word of him in the past few days. Every night was spent tense and alert- waiting. But nothing ever came. Where had he disappeared to?

"Where do you think he is?" Nate asked quietly. 

"Hiding."

Sage's hair was still as messy as always, and her converse were firmly on her feet, neon pink shoelaces and all. She looked exactly the same as she did two months ago, and looking at her, Nate could almost fool himself in believing nothing ever happened. But then you'd notice the dark purple smudges under her eyes, and the way she held herself. Losing Evie had changed her. It changed everyone. 

Newfound resentment seethed beneath his skin. Not only did Blake kill the girl he loved, but he hurt his sister. And for what? Bloodlust?

Nate couldn't help but blame himself or ask if it was his fault. The lookes Blake would give him sent confusion whirling in his brain. But one thing Nate knew for sure: Blake was a murderer. The best thing to do was to kill him and then try to fix the broken shards left behind. 

Both brother and sister were quiet as they entered the high school. Happy chatter and gossip bombarded Nate. It all felt wrong, wrong, wrong. How could these people be so oblivious?

"Nate!"

Sandra peeled away from a group of girls and bounded up to him. Despite all the emotional overload, he felt a slight smile tugging his lips. Her happiness was infectious. 

"Hey, Sandy."

She smiled up at him. "I'm glad you're feeling better." She elbowed him playfully. "I'd hate to go to the dance alone tomorrow."

Right. The school Halloween dance. Nate had almost forgotten about it. He barely glanced twice at the costume they'd bought together hanging in his closet. Heck, he barely noticed anything. 

"You didn't forget, did you?"

He gave her a smile to cover his panic. "No. Of course not. I'm looking forward to it."

"Great. We'll meet up there." She gave a shy smile. "See you later."

|<>|

Blake didn't appear later on in the day. A part of Nathan was glad, but the other half wanted to keep a close eye on him. 

Nate tried asking Aeron about it, but all he got was a one-shouldered shrug. Aeron was worried, but Nate couldn't stand to be around long enough to figure it out. Aeron had defended Blake. 

Nathan spent most of his afternoon hanging up bright blue posters asking for "everybody to come on down Halloween night to support the volleyball team!" Underneath were cartoon drawings of haunted houses with sheet ghosts peeking out of broken windows. 

After school, Nate told Sage he'd meet up with her later. She boarded the bus with hesitance, but didn't ask questions. Even if she did ask, he'd have no answers. He had no idea what he was doing. 

He watched from the front of the school as the buses drove into town. He stretched and began to run.

He savored running. Everything about it— the fierce burning in his lungs, the aching of his muscles, and the land moving under his feet— calmed him. It was forever familiar, constant, despite the setting. 

Nathan let go. He let his feet guide him and his mind go blank. He ran down mainstreet. Familiar buisnesses blurred past, a collection of memories attached to every one. 

The local Ice Cream Shop (owned by the same people who ran the Burger Shop) brought a jumbles of memories of fallen ice cream cones, days out with mom, a towering triple scoop, and his first date. The failed teen hangout place, Teenz Place: hanging out with friends late at night, his first awkward peck on the lips, and playing cards. 

And then Cecilia's Crafts. 

Nate came to an abrupt halt. Why had he come here? Blake's truck wasn't parked in the alleyway beside the store, but his mom's was. 

Before he knew what he was even doing, Nate was making his way up the fire escape to their front door. His hands were clammy, but he raised a fist and knocked. 

The door swung open. 

Ms. Davis stood in the doorway. Her graying hair was pulled back in a bun, and white flour covered her hands and apron. 

"Oh, Nathan. Come on in."

Blake's house had always felt like a second home to him, but now he felt like an outsider. 

"I'm sorry to barge in on you."

She waved off his apology. "It's no problem. Cookie?"

He took the cookie mutely and gazed around. Nothing to suggest a murderer lived here. Nate didn't know what he expected. Murder weapons hanging on the walls instead of family pictures? Blood caked onto every available surface? Dead bodies stashed under furniture?

"Anyway, Nathan, how can I help you?"

He uncrossed his arms and they hung limply at his sides. He crossed them again. "Do you know where Blake is?" 

She raised an eyebrow. "Isn't he with you? He should be staying at your house."

She didn't know, and she never could.

"Oh yeah! I forgot. Stupid me." Nathan gave a fake laugh. "I feel stupid. Well thanks for the time and the cookie!"

He was already at the door, hand on the knob. 

"Oh, Nathan?" Ms. Davis called after him. 

"Yeah?"

"Don't forget to remind Blake about volunteering Wednesday." 

"No problem."

She smiled at him, a true genuine smile. Nate felt awful. She was going to lose her son. 

A/N: So what do you think is going to happen? Will they kill Blake? Let me know in the comments below!

-Sophia ^_^