Chapter 7

The morning sun shone down on a blue penguin and brown fox. “Ugh,” Palo groaned, turning around in his bed to avoid the yellow rays. “Eevee…” Lily shook the penguin’s body to wake him up. “Pa-lo.”

“Give me a few more minutes…” As he groggily opened his eyes, Palo was met with an Eevee staring at him, the sun shining from behind her head. The Piplup’s eyes widened, getting up quickly. “We’re late!” He shouted, rushing out of the room, Lily following with an “Eevee!” in agreement. “I can’t believe I overslept on our first day!” The pair panicked in their hurry to catch up to the other junior members.

“What did we miss?” asked Palo. Panting he and Lily were, the duo finally here. The other Pokemon gave them looks, mostly annoyed, including the Pokemon in charge of the junior members. A Dewott. “And it seems that everyone is finally here,” she said sharply, a glare towards the Eevee and Piplup. “All of you are dismissed. Work hard.”

The crowd of Pokemon disbanded, scattering to get their work done, the Dewott muttering “Or else.” Then, the dark blue otter turned to look at Palo and Lily. “You two stay.” Her attitude was rather pointy as she watched the Piplup and Eevee turn back around. “Y-yes?” Palo asked nervously.

“You’re coming with me. You’re both late,” the Dewott explained. Leading them to a section of the dome, the Dewott stopped. “You’ll be working here if you’re late,” she said. It was a kitchen, rather a poor one but it was still a kitchen. “Huh?” Palo looked at the spot they were in. Stained with berries the area was, specifically oran berry. Pokemon were working there too, scrambling to make supper for when the day is done. “And if you don’t pull your weight in here as well, you’ll find yourself out of here,” the Dewott warned. “Do I make myself clear?”

The duo gulped and nodded, scurrying off towards the kitchen. “I need to start waking up on time fast!” said Palo. As much as Lily would want to talk, keeping quiet was the best option for her until she got better at speaking. It wouldn’t do the two well if she was caught with this inability. 

“Looks like we got some newbies!” A voice announced. An Oshawott, messy as he was, appeared upfront in oran and pecha berries. “I’m guessing you were brought here by my sister?” A slow nod was received, before the Piplup spoke up. “Is your sister-”

“That Dewott? Yep! She’s so harsh that even I, her brother can’t be an exception!”

“Get to work, pipsqueak!” Another Pokemon roared, startling the Eevee and Piplup.

“Don’t worry about that! They’re just mad that they can’t go exploring. I’m just here because I’m not in a team… and my sister wouldn’t let me do anything else other than cook.”

“Stop talking, already!”

“Got it! Follow me, you’ll be washing the berries while I cut them!” The Oshawott had his scalchop in the air before heading off to his station.

“I guess I’ll bring the water,” said Palo. “And you can bring them to him.” Despite the idea, he didn’t sound confident in it. Time to get to work. Using a water gun, the Piplup splashed the baskets of berries pitifully with weak power while Lily brought the basket over to the Oshawott, before having to bring different baskets to the multiple other Pokemon in the kitchen.

* * *

“I don’t think I can do this anymore,” said Palo. “I’m going to wake up in time from now on.” The pair were tired from today. “Who knew that working in the kitchen could be that tough?”

“At least we get to eat supper, right?” The Oshawott was back, splattered in more berry juice. “We didn’t have time to introduce ourselves today so this is a good time! I’m Yato!”

“We’re Palo and Lily,” the Piplup replied back tiredly.

“Nice to meet you! Let’s get supper!”

“Yeah…” Palo laughed lightly. To be honest, our heroes were too tired to even stuff themselves for tonight, but what a first day it was for them as junior members.