Chapter 8

“He’s late…” She grumbled. Jim stood at her station, irritated as she looked at the notes. What was with this guy and what were they thinking? A washed-up detective who does nothing but mope around without caring about the case? And a big one at that. It was a surprise that he was brought in for the job and now Jim was stuck with a useless partner.

“It could have been anyone else,” muttered Jim. She looked at her Manectric. “Even you, bud.” At least there was someone who could brighten up her day, her own Pokemon. “Looks like we’ll have to do Markus’ work too.”  This case was serious. One where people suddenly disappeared without a trace? It was too scary to think of and even more infuriating when the most important people for the job do the minimum. 

* * *

“We made it on time…” said Palo. The Piplup took a big deep breath to calm himself down. Today was going to be their first mission now. An actual mission and not a day the two would have kitchen duty for their time. But the question was, what were they going to explore? An unknown dungeon? Maybe look for a lost item. Or chase a criminal!

The penguin’s imagination exploded in anticipation for his and Lily’s first time. His eyes wide, Palo waited for an answer alongside his friend. The Eevee didn’t share much of the same excitement, waiting patiently beside Palo, in front of the Dewott. “You’ll be exploring,” she said.

“Yes!” Palo jumped in joy. “Where?!” A bit of silence fell in the room as the Dewott cleared her throat. “Before I was interrupted, allow me to explain where you’re going.” The Dewott shot an unamused look at the two, more so at the Piplup as she continued. “You two will be exploring at Willow Woods.” 

“...Huh?”

Willow Woods, a place beginning teams explore. It was one of the more common places for a beginning team such as Lily and Palo. “But don’t you think that is… a bit too easy?” The Piplup was met with a glare from the Dewott, which immediately shut him up. “After seeing how you two worked in the kitchen, this is the best we have come up with for you,” The Dewott explained. She walked up to Palo’s head. “Besides, it’s filled with grass types,” she whispered into his ear, causing the Piplup to shiver. “Your goal is to reach the end of Willow Woods with your client well, understand?”

The pair nodded their heads rapidly. “We have a client?” asked Palo.

“Yes. Come here, Yato!”

Yato? Wasn’t that the Oshawott in the kitchen? With a step to the room, an Oshawott with recognizable berry juice walked into the room. Compared to the nervous looks from Palo and Lily, Yato had a smile plastered on his face. “Do we get to begin now?” He asked.

“Yes, you do.” The Dewott gave the penguin and fox one last threatening look, walking away. The two would be in big trouble if Yato returned in awful condition and on their first mission no less. “Let’s do this, Palo and Lily!” The Oshawott marched happily his way out the door, pep unfazed of the the duo’s task.

* * *

“Let’s see what sorta buzz there’ll be today,” Markus mumbled, a cigar in his lips. “What an absolute-” Knock knock! “Beautiful day…”