Chapter 2 (Rework)

A brilliant day it was, the morning light hitting the Eevee’s face, a Leafeon tongue licking the top of her head again as she stirred. “Good morning,” said Petal. “Eevee…” Lily groaned, getting out of her nest in annoyance. She could see the forced smile on the grass-type. “Mama’s very sorry she can’t bring you to work today,” the Leafeon sadly announced. Lily had her head hung low from the news she saw coming. Looks like today she will have to spend the day with the other kids.

“I know you don’t want to,” Petal began. “But the next time Soothing Scents is closed, we can play all you want.” She licked Lily’s head again as the two left home.

* * *

The Eevee sat from afar, watching the other kids play as usual. Midnight was around mainly to babysit, the Purrloin making sure no one got hurt or prevent a fight. Today, the game they decided to play was tag, Pokemon zooming around. Pitch was the chaser right now, tailing a Magby. “Tag!” Then the Pichu went running in the opposite direction, while the Magby looked for a different Pokemon to tag.

All the while as she watched, a shout from behind surprised the bored Eevee. “Hi, everyone!” A familiar penguin ran up to the group. It was the same Piplup that came to Soothing Scents. “Palo!” shouted Pitch. All the other Pokemon immediately surrounding the Piplup. “Long time no see, Palo!” said Midnight. “Uh-huh, hi again!” the Piplup replied, trying to talk to the multiple Pokemon that clamored him as the Purrloin dragged some away.

“How’s the guild been?” asked Midnight. The other Pokemon looked at Palo like it was storytime. “Yeah! Yeah! Tell us!”

“Alright, alright, but it’s not much,” said the Piplup. It was in the same manner to when he was complimented in Soothing Scents. And what was this guild they’re talking about? Cotton also mentioned that word. Lily stared at the penguin the same way the other kids were. “Even Lily is interested!” a Scatterbug said. “Lily?” asked Palo. “Who’s that?”

“She’s new here,” answered Midnight, rotating the Piplup’s head to the Eevee. “Just be kind to her,” he whispered. “She came here the same way you did.”

“Oh,” responded Palo. The pair’s heads kept nodding as they whispered more before Midnight left Palo’s side, letting the penguin tell his story.

He was on a mission to check on an altar in a forest called Willow Woods. The other kids groaned and rolled their eyes from the tale Palo told, some wanting for action. Instead, it was just as simple as the water-type made it out to be, a scan. with no obstacles in the way or any dangers. Only Lily’s attention never wavered as all of the other kids’ parents or older siblings brought them home until it was just her, Palo, and Midnight. It was getting late, the blue sky now rather yellow. The plaza was crowded too for a day in Lylow. Most of the Pokemon filled Swirly Sweets, although a good chunk were at the others. Lily had her head cocked like a clock hand. She had never seen the town this lively. Was something going on?

The Purrloin nudged her to follow him as he walked opposite of the town square, Palo coming along. The older Pokemon talked in the same whisper they did as they made their way to Merry’s place. But why Merry’s? Lily didn’t know, looking back every now and then before eventually deciding. “Eevee.”

Midnight whispered once again to the Piplup as they turned to face her. Palo was a bit tense as Midnight spoke. “Yes?” the Purrloin responded. The Eevee frowned further. “Eevee!” Palo jumped back from the shout as Lily went on ahead to the Chansey’s home. Midnight grabbed his flipper and ran after the normal-type.

“So that’s what you were talking about!” Palo said, trying to keep up with the Purrloin who nodded. “Yeah,” he replied. “She’s not the happiest Pokemon in the world for obvious reasons.” The Eevee was gone from sight, a Chansey at the entry of her home with a worried look on her face. “And when we get to Merry,” Midnight began. “Could you keep an eye on Lily?”

The two stopped. “Sure, but why?” asked Palo. “Because, I need to help my mom out,” the feline answered, leaning forward. “And it’s almost the Winter Festival too.” He left soon after, waving his goodbye to Merry.

“I see you’ve met Lily?” The Piplup nodded, hugging the larger Pokemon tightly. He answered with a “mhm,” sniffling. Palo didn’t know what to do as he spoke, muffled. “I know I said it yesterday since I returned but I missed Lylow, everything about it. Especially you, Merry.”

“We all missed you too.” She patted his head and brought Palo inside. Lily was at a corner, all curled up. “Merry?”

“Yes?” The Chansey set a bowl beside the Eevee as Palo followed.

“Could we talk about this somewhere else?”

“Of course.” She turned to Lily. “We’ll be back.” The fluffy fox quietly nodded, allowing the Pokemon to go back outside. It had become night, the stars out to play. The Piplup took a big breath to compose himself. “Did Lily come here the same way…” he dragged, his voice growing soft. Merry placed her arm-hand nub at the back of his head. “Yes,” she confirmed. “She did.”

“I see…” The Piplup let out a sad exhale. “I need to leave Lylow again tomorrow.” He bent to his right, leaning onto Merry. “I wish I could stay longer,” he muttered, a “mum” escaping almost silently at the end.

* * *

“That’ll be $63.48.” From the counter, Pat watched as the customer turned around. “Thank you for shopping at GameStop. Please come again.” They responded with the usual goodbye of “Have a good day.” “You too. Have a great one.” The door opened and as the customer left, Pat let out an exaggerated sigh of relief. “Finally.” He took out a box of cigarettes and a lighter, going back to take a smoke.

As luck would have it, the door swung open. The employee cursed to himself, quickly shoving away the contents back into his pockets. “Hello!” he greeted to a familiar, younger kid with a backpack. Immediately, Pat dropped the act. “Oh, it’s you. What do you want?”

“I need you to come with me,” explained Ben.

“Well, I’m sorry but I’m busy.”

“Busy what?”

The door opened again as more customers entered the store. “Work of course,” Pat lied, pointing at the door. “So I’d really appreciate it if you buy something now.”

“I’m not buying anything,” Ben replied.

“Oh good. Could you tell me if Patricia digs dudes who smoke? I mean, who doesn’t like a dude that-”

The younger boy had already left the store. Well that wasn’t helpful. Ben left the mall as fast as possible, running for the park from yesterday. He needed to find out what this was about. However, once he reached his destination, the park was crowded with kids playing around cluelessly. Ben ran for the playground, to the swings where children swang from. Where was the hole? It was here, by the swings. Ben knew for sure. Neither side had a hole. What was going on? There was no way he imagined that. He remembered it so clearly.

A siren blared, followed up by a car in black and white parking by the curb. The doors opened, gathering the attention of every kid and adult as two adults exited the vehicle. The first was a cop in uniform, short, brown hair tied up to a bun. Ben stared wide eyed at the second person. It was the man he ran into at McDonald’s. He didn’t wear the standard black outfit the first person wore, but instead, he was plain clothed, wearing a white button up and khakis.

As the two herded the people out, Ben quietly snuck off. He hid in a bush, watching as yellow tape circled the park before the authorities walked over to the swings. The police took out a photo, then looked at the area. Then she walked back to the car, bringing back two shovels as they began to dig. It didn’t take long before the both got the hole revealed as there was a piece of circled wood near the top. The cop and detective both made their way carefully down the hole. Making sure they were gone, Ben left the bush, shaking off the leaves and twigs on him.

For the second time, he stared back at the pit. It was just as unnerving as the first. The adults weren’t there as the kid carefully climbed down the hole.