Chapter 3 (Rework)

Morning arose throughout Lylow Town, starting the day. It had been a while since the Eevee came to the new world. The residents were put off by her lack of words, but eventually, they grew accustomed to the new Pokemon. Right now, the Eevee was at Junker’s Junk with Palo, the Piplup grabbing a hefty book from the Banette. “Pleasure doing business with ya!” Junker said, waving goodbye to the pair that headed off for Swirly Sweets, the Eevee and Palo’s hangout spot in Lylow.

The cafe was still in the same order as it was. Maple took orders, Chi cleaned away, and the Slurpuff and Swirlix duo made their way with the dishes. Raggy held a performance as per usual, but Pitch helped him this time, delivering customers’ meals as they watched. Palo and the Eevee were at one table. The penguin set down the book he bought from Junker down onto the table as he opened it up. ”If you’re going to live here,” Palo began. “You’ll need to learn how to talk.”

“Eevee?” The Eevee tilted her head. Could she learn how to speak the Pokemon tongue?

“Yep! Let’s start it off by saying your name, Petal called you “Lily” sometimes, right?”

Lily. It was recently that the Eevee started living with the Leafeon. Still, she didn’t know why Petal gave her that name. Nonetheless, the Eevee nodded at Palo to confirm his question.

“Alright! Let’s try it now! Say it with me, Lill-ee.”

“Eel-vee.”
* * *
“Ugh.” The Piplup put his head down, frustrated. “This is going to take forever.” It was late afternoon now, the cafe having slowed down for the day. “Let’s try it again. Lil-ee.”

“Eevl-ee.” From however way she moved her mouth, Lily still wasn’t able to say anything right.

“At least you can make L-sounds consistently.” Palo looked to the side at the window. They spent that much time trying to teach Lily to speak? “I didn’t think it would be this hard!”

“What would be hard?”

Simultaneously, the pair turned their heads to see who it was. A Pichu looked at them intently, trying to sneak a peek at the book on their table. “What is that?”

“We’re trying to get Lily to learn how to speak,” answered Palo. “Why are you here, Pitch?”

Palo only received a shrug, the Pichu more excited now about the situation. “Can I bring mum here?!” Pitch asked excitedly.

“Uh, sure.”

The Piplup watched as Pitch ran off to get the Pikachu. It was closing time and no customers were coming by, the pair being met once more by the small electric type again, this time with his parent.

“Lily’s trying to learn how to speak!” Pitch explained, no drop in his hyperness. He pointed at the Eevee to show who Lily was, although Maple already knew. “Is that so?” The Pikachu asked.

“Mhm! And you’re the best teacher! That’s why I want you to help her!”

A bashful laugh was all the Pikachu could respond with, scratching the back of her head with a paw. “I’ll try to, Pitch.” She turned her head to look at Palo. “What have you done so far?”

The Piplup’s expression went back to his sour one from before. “We tried getting Lily to pronounce her name, but she can only make L-sounds.”

“I see.” Maple changed her direction from Palo to Lily. “Lily?”

“Eevee?” The fox Pokemon looked at her patiently. “Do you want to learn how to speak?” A quiet nod was the answer, the Pikachu sighing. “I’ll try to help you,” she said. “But I won’t have time to do it after this, so pay attention, Palo.”

“Mhm!” The Piplup followed, watching the scene in front of him more keenly. Pitch’s attention was focused on the two as well.

“Let’s start with the alphabet,” Maple began. “You need to learn letters before you talk. Say ‘a’.”

“Eh!” Lily somewhat got it right. Even if it had that E-sound to it, there was something. Maple continued.

“Now ‘b’.”

“v-v-v…v-v-v-Vee!”

The Pikachu shook her head. “Try making a b-noise. Say ‘beh’ now.”
“Veh!”
* * *
The short session lasted until sunset, when Maple would shoo the pair away for the night. Maple had gone home to put Pitch in bed and Lily of course, was in her new home with Petal, Palo back at Merry’s. Still, in bed, the Piplup thought hard about what he saw and what Maple told him. Teach Lily by letter first and find other Pokemon to help her in case they get stuck again.

‘Can I really do it?’ The penguin thought in his nest. He wanted to join an exploration team, but he couldn’t leave his friend behind like that. It wouldn’t be right. After finding her, lost without a clue of who she was and being the one that helped her get used to Lylow Town? Palo even asked her if she wanted to make an exploration team with him. And… and… they were similar.

Lost.