🌿 going further: the Three Jewels

To support our practice, a Zen Buddhist relies on the Three Jewels. This is a common reliance across many sects of Buddhism.

The Buddha

The first jewel is the Buddha, which is not our god, but rather a representation of the "us who is all of us." Relying on the Buddha is to rely upon love. The historical Buddha, and all the Buddhas who help and are us, are very real. We love as they love.

The Dharma

The second jewel is the Dharma, which is the scriptures and teachings passed down by the Buddha and by the masters who have studied reality. Relying on the Dharma is to rely upon reason. As long as we come to the teachings' conclusions ourselves and do not absorb them thoughtlessly and "faithfully," we are reasonable like the masters themselves. Teachings hasten us down the bodhisattva's path, if we understand the teachings with study and patience.

The Sangha

The third jewel is the Sangha, the community of practitioners around the world. To rely upon the Sangha is to be fearless. Knowing you are not alone, will never be alone, cannot be alone, and that your compassionate works affect all things at all times, you become fearless in the face of existential crisis, of pettiness, of despair and hate.

Reasonable
Loving
Fearless