i race toward but cannot catch happiness

The problem.

I work toward my happiness daily. I know what I want, yet I cannot seem to attain it. It is always steps ahead. Occasionally I grab it, but that is fleeting. I race toward but cannot catch and keep happiness.

The Zen understanding.

First, what is happiness?

To a Zen Buddhist, happiness is something sustainable. Happiness is a combination of what you have and what you need, such as your current fortunes and your need for security. Happiness is not pleasure. Pleasure is the thrill of success or getting something new from the store. These pleasures are fleeting.

So how does one seek happiness instead of pleasure?

The Zen application.

A Zen Buddhist does not endeavor to have what they want. Instead, a Zen Buddhist endeavors to want what they already have.

Look around you and think about all the things you already have. Maybe you have a pet. Consider how fortunate you are to have that special creature to care for. Maybe you have a home. Consider how fortunate you are to have that shelter. This is one way to find happiness.

Besides that, ask yourself when you make any given decision, "Will this lead to pleasure or to happiness?" In other words, is your decision leading you toward something lasting, or is it leading you to further craving?

Admit to yourself what you need and don't need. Some things you might need are security, self-respect, peace of mind, a spiritual component, and the ability to act upon compassion. Things you don't need are immense success, the admiration of everyone you meet, and living up to the worldly expectations of your society.