Part 2

Grade 10B...

Ever since 6th grade, my batch was one of the most notorious classes. Not for particularly good reasons.

That morning, Asante and I entered the building and made our way to our homeroom for the year. We reached the door and when Asante opened it, we were greeted by an obnoxiously loud cackle, followed by someone flinging a purse across the room.

"Haba, early in the morning???" she muttered while entering. I followed to see that Chardonney had beef with Yassen. Some things aren't meant to change. The ravenette cursed loudly at the chubby black kid until she noticed us.

"Three months, how come you didn't grow a bit shorty?" I teased. "I call out bullying and harassment!" she exclaimed while hugging me. "SHORTY!!!!!" screeched the dark-skinned boy in the background. "Shut the fuck up!" The girl yelled back before holding Asante. "What did he do this time?" "Probably breathed too hard" I chuckled. "Exactly! And in my fucking ear! Who the fuck does that?!"

Asante and I stared at the short girl. I fixed my glasses, "Girl, I was kidding" "I wasn't" "Anyways, let's go see the other monkeys" interjected Asante. "Right, they didn't see me in ages and aren't even looking for me" Chardonney snorted at my comment.

Asante went on her way, greeting the others while I secured my seat. It was the first bench on the far right. Sat there every year, others had to suck it up. I dropped my bag and scanned the room.

Some of the troupe members weren't there yet. Those present were busy chatting, looking at stuff on their phones or in Yassen's case, causing mischief. That's when I spotted a group of boys talking about their parents stressing them up about the final exam. I was about to go bother them, especially one of my kids but felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Long time, momma" I stared blankly but smiled internally, the fun had started. "Ekko... Is this who we are? Is this what we represent?" The white-haired boy stared down at me with an unimpressed expression. "Come on, Jela. I thought we were cool" My head cocked backwards, brows raised. "Oh, we were cool, Wallace. Until I heard your ass got in a relationship under my nose! I didn't know she existed till Hanan told me. Stuff like that is a community decision. But the worst of all!" I paused and crossed my arms, waiting for him to complete it. "Bro, come on. You know what it is"

The brown-skinned boy bit his lip to not laugh at my signature hyperbole. "She didn't pay no groom price..." "EXACTLY! How am I gon pick 4 rats from the streets, raise you myself and when y'all find your boos and baes, I don't get nun? Then damn, I should just disown all of y'all" I motioned dramatically . "You're too much" he smiled. "No, you're not enough. So how about it?"

"We broke up" "Yeah, I know. But y'all did two months together. Count the money I could've subtracted from that girl's pocket." I tapped his forehead with my index as his gaze travelled around the room before meeting mine, a smile still present. "Aight, I'm sorry" "Nah, I'm playing" "I could tell" he retorted with a smirk. "Let's pretend you could"

We did our handshake with a little dance at the end. "Imma go check up on the others," I said before going to the trio I planned to disturb. I reached my ginger-haired son and flicked his head. "Oww, Jela" he whined. "Serves you right. Did any of y'all greet me this morning?"

I eyed the black and Indian boys, Daniel and Shaurya respectively. Shaurya shook his head, "Morning, Aunty. You still didn't update your fanfiction" "Morning..." Daniel grinned. I nodded, satisfied, before responding to Shaurya's remark. "Look at my forehead. Is it written 'writing machine' on there?" The boy shook his head bashfully. "Thanks for actually reading it. You still suck, though"

"And you..." I pointed at the redhead. He gave me a quick hug before I could add anything, "Morning, momma" "Morning, Jay-jay" I strolled around the class, reconnecting with familiar faces until the bell rang, followed by the teacher's entrance. Madam Chiderah was our English teacher, a Nigerian woman who wore the heaviest of makeup. Everyone rose to greet her and she responded brightly.
.
.
.
.
.
The woman gave the class an expected introduction to the new school year. It consisted of addressing how the class always performed well despite its loudness, and how much was expected of their batch and especially from Jela. A lot was expected from her and Francelle, and the teacher openly explained it. The two had always been at the top, at times, one was under the other. However, this was the year when everything mattered.