Eight - Betsy

"Ladies," the leader of the orcs spoke, his eyes on me, like they'd been ever since he'd walked into the room

"Ladies," the leader of the orcs spoke, his eyes on me, like they'd been ever since he'd walked into the room. Those eyes only made me tenser.

He finally looked away and continued his speech. "I welcome you all to our mountains for this special day. Big things are about to happen tonight as orcs and humans will once again bond... We will make new lives, build new futures. And we will do that together. So please, do not fear us, for we do not fear you. In fact, we would like to show you our appreciation for this visit and offer you this meal." As soon as he was done talking, a group of orcs walked into the room, holding wooden bowls, decorated plates, black metal pans, and enormous pots in their clawed hands. "We have prepared this feast for you. And I expect you to eat it all, as you will need the energy for the night..."

The other orcs laughed, but the leader's mouth did not curl into a smile as theirs did. Instead, he looked at me once more, causing my stomach to turn while adrenaline rushed through my veins.

Why was he looking at me again? Was it my hair? Did the pathetic cropped locks that were left on my head repulse him the same way his grotesque looks repulsed me?

Whether you would call him monstrously ugly or not, he seemed to at least be respectful towards us. I didn't expect that. I'd dreamed about this day so many times, and there had been so many scenarios in my head whenever I'd fantasized about meeting the orcs, which was no wonder because I had no idea what to fantasize about. Everything was possible. But one thing I'd never even considered was orcs preparing dinner for us, thanking us for visiting them, or hearing them speak about creating a new life together so respectfully.

"Women! Please, take your seat at the table and eat!" he ordered, his voice bellowing through the room.

"Let's sit down," Amira whispered, grabbing my upper arm.

"Do you know why they were laughing?" I whispered.

"You'll soon understand," Amira answered.

"Huh?"

"Shhh! Come, we need to sit at the table now. I don't wanna piss that guy off."

"O-okay."

"Can one truly eat this without getting the worst case of diarrhea?" Amira whispered into my ear as we sat at the long table with the other women. I was so happy she was the one sitting next to me, because this had to be one of the most uncomfortable moments in my life. Even the conversation I had with Mother this morning felt less awkward.

While all the women sat at the long stone table, the orcs stood a little further away, eating their so-called 'feast' meal, watching us, and talking to each other in orc-tongue. They were probably gossiping about us, while we struggled to finish dinner.

Eyeing the gooey brown mush on my plate, I answered her back: "I don't know, but I think it will be rude not to eat it. I mean, the orc did say we should eat it all." And his words felt like an order to me.