Chapter Forty

After washing up and getting dressed, it was time for us to go home again

After washing up and getting dressed, it was time for us to go home again. Time for us to leave our paradise...

I watched Gyda load the books back into her shoulder bag and wondered if I hadn't been a bit of an ass for distracting her more than once today. But how could I not want her when she was so close to me? One day a week was not enough.

"Shit, I made a mess again," she said.

I grinned. "I know...We both did."

She rolled her eyes. "No, I mean this." She pointed at the underside of her bag, which had multiple smudges of dirt on it. She attempted to sweep the dirt off with her hands, but it only made things worse. "Shit. I should be more careful." She looked at me. "Last time, Fiona already asked what the hell I did at the library for my bag to get this dirty. I ended up telling her I'd dropped it outside and it landed near a puddle. It rained that day, so I had an excuse, but today the sky is clear." She sighed. "It's okay, though. I'll make sure they don't see it this time."

"Are you sure you're alright?" I asked.

"Of course."

Honestly, she was acting a bit strange today. Wasn't today a great day? I thought it was. That little booger had finally kicked hard enough for me to feel him. And everything felt so real suddenly. I saw Gyda's belly grow every week—which was amazing as well—but now the life inside of her was moving. He'd actually moved under the touch of my hand and I'd felt it. It was so bizarre yet so natural at the same time.

Gyda always told me I couldn't possibly know if our baby was a boy or girl, orc or human. And, of course, she was right. I couldn't know. But calling our bairn a 'him' was something natural to me. Every child was a 'him' where I lived. I was just used to it.

I admit I'd always wanted a son more than anything in the world: an heir, one to follow me as clan leader, but... things had changed. I couldn't care less what would pop out of Gyda's cunt. As a clan leader, I should care, but I couldn't. Not as her lover. Not as her baby's father. Boy, girl. Orc, human. It didn't matter to me anymore. The only thing that mattered was that I had to find a way to make Gyda happy, to make our child happy, and to make me happy too.

She stuffed away the last book. "Done."

"Ready to go?" I asked, grabbing the bag out of her hands and swinging it over my shoulder, before taking her hand in mine. She nodded. "Then let's go."

"We've been talking about my dreams all the time, but do you ever dream?," Gyda asked as we headed out of the cave. "I've been wondering."

"Sometimes."

"Are they good dreams?"

"Yes. I mean, mostly yes."

"What kind of dreams?"

"I have good dreams when I dream about you..." I looked at her as I recalled the dream that had left me beyond happy this week. Happy and frustrated.

A grin appeared on Gyda's face and I instantly regretted that I told her. Now she was going to ask me about it.