Chapter Thirty-one

"What have I ever d-done to you?" Beatrice asked, stepping in front of Amira

"What have I ever d-done to you?" Beatrice asked, stepping in front of Amira. She pulled her daughter behind her back before she looked at me, tipping her head for me to step behind her as well, which I did without hesitation.

Amira grabbed my shaky hand in her equally trembling one.

"I have a job to do," the woman answered while slowly pacing the room. "Do you think your indecent behavior went unnoticed? Not only are you trading with those grotesque creatures from the mountains, but I also found out that you're luring innocent women to this vile place with your whoring."

"Trading with orcs? I have traded nothing with orcs!" Beatrice replied, rather convincing. "Yes, I sleep with women, but I'm not luring anyone in. They come to visit me out of their own f-free will!"

"But look how eager you were to undress before my eyes. It- it's disgusting! You're disgusting," the woman hissed.

Beatrice huffed. "Is that what you really think? I saw the blush on your cheeks."

"Shut up, whore!"

"And now? Now, you're here to kill me?"

"What can I say? Rats need to be removed." The woman looked not only at Beatrice but also at Amira and me, and I felt goosebumps forming on my neck while the little hairs stood up straight.

As Beatrice tried to convince the woman we didn't deserve to get killed, I whispered in Amira's ear, "Where are your sisters?"

"Away. Fuck, why are those bitches never around when I need them?!" she hissed. Panic was written all over her pale face. "What do we do, Gyda?"

"I-I don't know," I replied. I had no clue, but I was pretty sure we weren't able to take down that giant woman.

Beatrice held a hand behind her back and waved to the right, to the door.

"I won't let you kill my daughter," Beatrice said right before she attacked.

Amira stood nailed to the floor when I pulled at her hand. She wasn't going to leave her mother. I thought about fleeing the house myself, but I couldn't just leave them.

"Fucking obscene swamp slut!"

The knife flew through the air, beating Beatrice in the head. She hit the ground.

"You cunt!" Amira snapped and before I knew it, she'd recovered from her petrified state and jumped on the woman's back. It only took a second before she was thrown to the ground as well.

"Oh, Gods!" I screamed out loud, frantically scanning the floor, in search of the knife.

My eyes fell on an ash-smudged shovel instead. It stood up straight, leaning against the wall, right beside the fireplace. I did not know why these people used such a gigantic shovel for such a small fireplace, but it might be my salvation. It surely was a deadly weapon, having a massive iron scoop at the end. One good swing against the woman's head and she would be knocked down, I was sure of that.