Chapter 1

Laylani ran through the city with great speed. She had just turned ten, and it was time for her to get her first pokemon! She was all prepared for her journey! Her bag was full of all the supplies she'll need, she had picked the perfect traveling outfit, and she had her wooden flute. This was an especially important item that she needed at all times. For you see, Laylani is mute. She cannot speak. So she communicates with her flute.

Lani made it to Professor Sycamore's lab. She was very very excited to get her first Pokemon. Lani ran into the lab and looked around. No one was there. She wondered where they were. She then decided to make her existence known by playing her flute. She took a few steps as she played her flute. But nobody showed up. Lani pouted as went to look for someone. She played her flute as she walked the empty halls. There were some wonderful acoustics.

Lani then heard a sound. She stopped and stared at a glass door. There was a little purple blob standing at the door. Lani went close to it. Curious as to what it was. She played her flute in greetings. The blob smiled, and so did Lani. She went towards the door and opened it, being met with bright, natural light. Laylani allowed her vision to adjust to the light. Once it did, she gasped. The room she had just entered was full of pokemon!! There were even a bunch she had never seen before!!

"Ditto!" The little blob said, catching Laylani's attention. Lani smiled and began to play her flute. The Ditto danced around Laylani. And soon, more Pokemon came toward her. Lani continued to play her flute as she danced with the various pokemon. Unbeknownst to her, Professor Sycamore and two of his assistants were watching her interact with the pokemon. When Laylani finished her little performance, the three humans started clapping. Lani whorled around in a start, almost falling over. She would have fallen over if the Ditto hadn't turned into an Ursarang and caught her. Lani stared at the Ursarang in shock. Professor Sycamore walked over.

"Sorry to startle you. I'm Professor Sycamore." He said as he held his hand out. Lani stood upright and watched as the Ursarang turned back into a Ditto. She looked at professor Sycamore and pointed at the little pokemon. The professor arched his brow. Then he remembered.

"Oh! Yes, you're Laylani! I'm very sorry, I was quite held up here." Professor Sycamore said. Lani bowed slightly in apology. The professor chuckled. "It's ok Laylani. There's nothing for you to apologize about. Now, what is it you wanted?" Lani pointed at the Ditto again. The professor hums.

"Ah, That's a Ditto. It has the ability to become any pokemon it's seen. For example, the Ursarang it turned into. It can also use the moves of that pokemon!" Laylani stared at the pokemon with wide eyes. She was impressed. She then pointed at the ditto and then at herself. "You want ditto to be your starter?" Lani nodded vigorously. The professor hummed.

"Though unusual, you could have it as a starter." The professor said with a smile. He got a Pokeball from his assistant. "Now let's see if Ditto wants to go with you." Laylani took the Pokeball into her hands.

"Just toss it at the ditto. If it wants to go with, it will stay in." The professor explains. Lani smiled and walked closer to the ditto. Lani carefully tossed the ball at the ditto. She was right on Target as the Pokeball absorbed the ditto. Lani stood there in anticipation as the Pokeball rolled around. It then stopped rolling and let off a spark. Laylani's eyes widened. She looked at the professor for confirmation. He smiles and nods.

"Congratulations! You caught your first Pokemon!" He says. He and his assistants clapped as the pokemon cheered. Laylani excitedly ran to the Pokeball and picked it up. She let the ditto out and she smiled.

"Ditto!" It said as it jumped into her arms. Lani caught it and snuggled the Ditto. If she could speak, she'd be laughing with the ditto and the Professors. Lani was now ready to start her Pokemon Journey!!!