Comforting One Another.

Elizabeth's POV-

As the rain heavily falls from the heavens above, I was sitting in the living room. A thick blanket wrapped around my shoulders, draping down my body. The firm crackling fills up any silence within the room.

A groan of frustration passes through my lips, as I yet again toss the instruction manual across the room. I drag a hand down my face, scanning over the scattered equipment surrounding me. "May I be of assistance?" Her calming voice breaks through my chaotic train of thoughts
"No. I'm okay thank you" I shake my head, to stubborn to accept help on the simplest of tasks.

"Ma'am-" I whip my head around to the girl, looking sternly towards her "Sorry. Elizabeth" Y/n corrects herself before continuing "Accepting help doesn't prove you're weak. It's doesn't make you vulnerable. You're stronger than you think you are" she delicately sets down a tray of freshly made tea upon the living room floor "You don't have to prove anything to yourself nor them" I sigh, feeling a sort of comfort from her words "Please, may I help?" Her soft voice made me crumble. I nod with a thankful yet saddened smile.

Admiring the individual raindrops trailing down the window, I lose myself. How can a simple task frustrate me? My dad taught me how to handle situations but I can't even assemble a simple furniture set. I bet my sisters could. They always could. Mary Kate and Ashley were the stars, while I sat on the sidelines watching them get their praise and attention. The last of the Olsen's, the last to leave the nest. I always ended up last.

Startled back to reality by a soft, gentle touch upon my cheek. Her thumb delicately wiping the tears I had yet to notice falling "You shouldn't compare yourself to them" she encourages, as if though she just entered my mind. Y/n retracts her hand but I was longing for her touch, her comfort. She found herself a seat beside me on the floor. The disregard manual laying in her lap. I rested my head upon her shoulder, to which she rested hers on mine.

"I know what it's like to compete against your siblings" she mentioned. "Having your family try mimic you into the perfect replica of them" her voice sounded so broken hearted "It'll tear you apart eventually. You just have to hold out hope that you'll be free from it all" she sighed.

The two of us allowed the silence to surround. Neither speaking up. I felt her shoulders rise and fall with every steady breath. My mind easing with each second that passes. Her presences was now becoming a safe and comfortable place to be.

"I'm beginning to think this table won't build itself" I joke earning a satisfied laugh
"I began thinking the same thing" Y/n opens up the manual, looking at the instructions. I sat up, re positioning the blanket. "Unfortunately I'm not fluent in Swedish. Spanish, Italian and Latin, yes but not Swedish." She boasts "We're just going to have to follow the step by step pictures" she lays the booklet down, grabbing the same item it displayed.

"Those languages you know, is that due to all the books you've read?" I question, intrigued of her intellect but she shakes her head
"I choose those to learn in school. Trying to prove a point to the people I called family. Though no point was proven" she extended her hand out for the screwdriver I held in mine.

"Younger sibling problems" I lift my knees, hugging them into my chest as I rest my chin upon them. Y/n, without a second thought or hesitation, repositioned the blanket over my shoulders. Draping it down my legs, allowing the warmth to stay.

Handing her tools she needed, I remained in my spot. Being no help in something I needed assistance with, but she seemed unbothered but the fact she was doing all the handy work.

The rain began hailing, crashing against the roof and windows. A strong wind whistles through the air, manically shaking any tree or bush in sight. A ripple of thunder, clapped outside. I gripped the blanket tighter, fearful of the sound echoing throughout the sky. "Hey. It's okay" Y/n rushed to my side. Her arms wrapped securely around me as I rest my head on her chest, trying to focus on the beating rhythm of her heart.

"I'm 24 and still scared of thunder" I laugh through a shaky breathe. Her fingers tangle within my hair, as she combs through each strand "That's perfectly normal. No need to be ashamed of such a thing" her grasp around me tightened with every echo.

"Tell me something about yourself" I change the topic, hoping to distract myself
"Books weren't always an interest to me" Y/n mentions, tracing flower like patters upon my shoulder "I use to think it was a waste of time, mainly due to the fact school bored me with them. One day, walking along the canal, I noticed a girl sat peacefully by herself. Captivated by her grace, I mustered up the confidence to introduce myself" I felt the smile pull up her cheeks "Somehow winning the dame over, the two of us became inseparable. One of her hobbies included reading. I used to lay on her lap, while she read whatever book she adventured into. It was an escape, allowing me to be myself"
"What happened to her?" I question the past tense within her story.

"She passed away. A disease infected the town, taking her along with many others" I lift my head off her chest, noticing the water glossing over her eyes "My parents did nothing to help. To focused on keeping the family name, they banished everyone's pleas for help, including my own"
"I'm sorry" like she did with me, I wiped the lose tears.

"Reading reminds me of her. How she always smiled no matter the situation. How she always had hope, even when laying on her death bed, slowly losing time" Her voice began breaking towards the end "Her dream was to own a library, care for it everyday and let people escape without judgement. I vowed to myself to keep her dream alive"

"She'd be happy to know you have"

————

Felt nice to write a lil pain 😂

Stay frosty my dudes ✨👌