~ch.12: Fate is with you Thorin okaenshild

❤︎

Tatsuo

As the Company of Thorin Oakenshield found refuge in Rivendell, you, the unseen observer with a deep connection to their fate, sensed their progress and smiled. You had a keen sense of their whereabouts and activities, even though you remained hidden from their view.

In the dungeons of the elven stronghold, you shivered at the thought of how many prisoners might be held there. Your presence was a secret, one you wished to maintain as you moved through the dark and quiet corridors. You followed the scent of the elf king and his son, your senses sharp and aware of their locations.

As you reached the throne room, the presence of the elf king became more pronounced. Despite your desire to help, you knew that now was not the time to reveal yourself. Instead, you remained hidden in the shadows, watching as the Company of Thorin Oakenshield found themselves in the majestic presence of the elven king and his remarkable throne made of woven wood, resembling antlers.

You chuckled to yourself, appreciating the intricate design. Your thoughts turned to the dwarves, who would surely need guidance in the days ahead. With determination, you decided to lend your assistance from the shadows, ensuring that their quest would have a higher chance of success.

A/n

Kili and the elven maiden exchanged subtle glances from opposite ends of the table. Kili playfully winked at her, his demeanor mischievous, before casually shifting his attention elsewhere. However, he soon noticed the collective gaze of the other dwarves fixed upon him. Unperturbed, he shrugged nonchalantly and quipped, "Can't say I'm particularly fond of elf maids, myself. Too slender, you know? All high cheekbones and smooth skin—lacking in facial hair, if you ask me. Although," he added, nodding towards a passing elf, "that one doesn't look too bad." Yet, a nagging thought in his mind whispered, "That's no elf maid."

Startled, Kili watched as the elf in question turned, revealing himself to be anything but an elf maiden. His shock was met with hearty laughter from his fellow dwarves, who pounded the table in amusement. Blushing slightly, Kili mumbled, "It's a jest," while awkwardly fiddling with his food. The voice in his head chuckled and faded away.

As another elf maiden glided by, playing a flute, Oin resorted to stuffing a napkin into his hearing trumpet to block out the music. Meanwhile, Elrond presented Thorin with his sword, examining it carefully as he ran his hand along the sheath.

"This is Orcrist, the Goblin Cleaver, a renowned blade crafted by the High Elves of the West, my kin. May it serve you well," Elrond stated before returning Orcrist to Thorin, who acknowledged the gesture with a nod. Elrond then turned his attention to Gandalf's sword, sliding it partially out of its sheath. "Foe-hammer, the sword of the King of Gondolin," he informed Gandalf. "These blades were forged for the goblin wars of the First Age."

Meanwhile, Bilbo cast a glance at his diminutive sword hidden beneath the table, feeling somewhat out of place. Balin offered him an empathetic smile and remarked, "I wouldn't worry, lad. These swords are named for great deeds in battle." Bilbo appeared surprised and retorted, "What are you suggesting? My sword hasn't seen any combat." Balin shook his head and added, "I'm not sure it's even a sword, more like a letter opener," before rejoining the conversation with Gandalf and Elrond.

A soft, reassuring voice echoed within Bilbo's mind, soothing his self-doubt. "Don't take it to heart. The dwarf doesn't know what he's talking about. Have faith in yourself, Bilbo." The comforting voice departed, leaving Bilbo feeling more secure.

Elrond returned Glamdring to Gandalf, his curiosity evident. "How did you come by these swords?" he inquired of the wandering wizard. Gandalf replied, "We discovered them in a troll hoard along the Great East Road just before we were ambushed by orcs." Elrond tilted his head, prompting further elaboration. "And what were you doing on the Great East Road?" A weighty silence hung in the air as Thorin, looking somewhat vexed, rose from his seat.♡