~32:we meet Smaug. Once more

❤︎
A/n

IT WAS NIGHTTIME AND SOON DAWN AS Tatsuo and bilbo landed in the cave opening. Bilbo dismounted his friendly steed and slid down her wing as she smiled at him. They then wandered into the cave seeing only darkness. But Tatsuo's sharp eyes could make out a faint glow in the innermost corner of the den. she thought, decided not to care for it. As long as the creature bearing that glow didn't bother her and bilbo, they wouldn't bother it. So Tatsuo found a good spot and started scorching the ground to a warm glowing area. "here, lay down," she said as she laid down, curling her tail around herself but leaving her right-wing open so the hobbit could lay down beside her. he did and laid his curly head against her ever heaving stomach whos to his surprise was smooth and soft. A deep chuckle sounded from the dragon, and he looked at her as she laid her head down in front of his feet, her cobalt orb staring into his.

"my stomach is like this cause I haven't been laying around in gold. Only at a stone surface," she said, and bilbo nodded, too tired to form words. Tatsuo smiled fondly and pressed her wing closer to her, draping gi over bilbo "sleep little halfing." she said, and bilbo fell into sleep. The dragoness smiled at her friend and glanced around the cave before falling to rest. She was unaware of those golden eyes watching her fondly. "you've finally returned my treasure," he whispered, then silence fell over the mountain cave as the night prolonged on for yet another day. Yet another adventure. Maybe the last one—the final battle of the dragons.

❤︎

Tatsuo woke first and yawned the following day, letting the morning sun seep at her scales and warm them up. She was a reptile, after all. A rumbling sounded in the cave, and she whipped around, seeing a familiar shape coming to light. She drew a sharp breath as she saw the beast that lay there. It was Smaug. How come I had chosen the same cave as him? when he sees bilbo, he won't be pleased, she thought and glanced at the still sleeping hobbit. However, he stirred. Soon he opened his eyes and met the irises of the dragon. Hse smiled at him, nudging him softly. "good morning, little hero," she whispered and moved her wing away from the body of the hobbit. Bilbo groaned as he was sentenced to getting the sleep out of his body. "what time is it?" he asked. "Sunny, Master Baggins. " We will leave soon," and bilbo nodded, standing up. the dragoness stood too, spreading her speckled star wings and shaking them before folding them. "I will hunt a little," she said and stepped towards the mouth of the cave "stay here," she ordered before spreading her wings and flying out of the cave into the ever-growing sun.

Bilbo looked around, deciding he should explore the cave a little. So he walked more into the darkness, hearing the soft rumble, and stopped. that rumble wasn't there yesterday, was it? No, I must've imagined it, he thought, but then the thunder returned, and a golden eye suddenly opened, startling the poor halfing. "hello, barrel rider," a familiar voice purred.

"Smaug," bilbo breathed, eyes wide. the drake smirked and stood his tall form towering over the smaller halfing. "yes, I'm alive."

❤︎

Tatsuo

I'm flying back, licking the blood on my lips from my first and last day's kill. It wasn't much but enough to quench the hunger of a halfing. Though, I think they do not eat meat. I caught a cow. The irking of Smaug's mind returned to me before I went to bed yesterday, and it got me to remember my old friend. I had forgotten about him due to the last few days' events. But I know he didn't forget me. I land on the perch of the cave to hear bilbo talking to an all too familiar voice. Smaug. "don't worry, barrel rider. You're under Tatsuo's protection, are you not?" bilbo's reply was muffled as if he was too scared to talk. I sighed and stepped instance, lifting my head as the sun framed by shape. The kill of a goat was lying on my back, sprawled out and bloody. "leave him alone, Smaug," I hissed, my long spiky tail lashing. Both Bilbo and Smaug turned to face me, and the hafling ran over to me, hugging my front leg.

"you're back!" he exclaimed, and I snorted fondly. I then grabbed the goat off my back and laid it down in front of bilbo. "I don't know much food that would satisfy a halfing, so here's at least a piece of food," I said, slumping down in defeat and shame. "no need to say sorry, Tatsuo. I like meat. It's a rare occurrence in The Shire, though. Thank you," he said and used Sting his sword to cut some stripes of the raw meat. I took this as an opportunity to talk to Smaug. "so it's here you'd gone. So hidden in the winds and shadows of forgotten mountains? Clever fellow dragon. Clever," I said, staring right at the drake. Smaug smiled and moved his head towards me, having his neck over bilbo. "I've missed you, treasure," he purred as he pressed his snout against the side of my own. I didn't recoil but grunted in slight discomfort. "i... guess I missed you too, Smaug," I said, looking away from his golden gaze. Smaug rumbled a deep laugh and moved his head out.

"so," he started looking at bilbo, who was eating his food. "you're with the barrel rider now. How's thorin's way going?" he ended, looking me in teh eyes again. "is he willing to give those lakemen their rightful claim, or has the stone finally corrupted him?" I hissed a warning, and he reared his head back. "I knew it would," he mumbled, smirking. "I knew it would corrupt him and make him mad. You knew too, didn't you?" he asked, and I felt a pit grow in my stomach. I did. But I didn't stop him. "i... hoped he wouldn't be like his grandfather," I grumbled out, and Smaug snorted. "of course. You have too much faith in the dwarf, my dear. He would lead you astray" Angry bubbled up in me, and I whipped my eyes to face Smaug once more. I growled, startling bilbo. "I know that he's not like Thror! He's better! he will be a good king!" I roared, so the mountain shook. I huffed out a fume of flame and turned my back.

"I didn't find you here for arguing, Smaug. I came for a good night's rest. We've gotten it, so we're leaving," I said, curling my tail carefully around bilbo, who yelped and plopped him down on the middle of my back between my shoulder blades. "come master Baggins" I hissed and slithered out, ignoring the call of the male drake. He, I would have to deal with later. Now it was more important things to attend like fighting orcs.

One final time I will battle. I thought. one last time, I will follow my friends into battle, and we will win.

❤︎