~ch.31: A fair trade will not work

❤︎
A/n

Tatsuo talked to Gandalf when he spotted Bard standing a few paces away. The grey wizard at once sauntered over to him. "You, Bowman! Do you agree with this? Is gold so important to you? Would you buy it with the blood of dwarves?!" he questions, and teh lady of dragons catch up to him, laying a hand on her old friend's shoulder. "Mithrandir, calm yourself. Bard doesn't want the gold, at least not more than what's promised him," she said, and Gandalf sighed, calming down. "I hope you're right," he muttered to her before Bard spoke, making their attention go to him. "It will not come to that. This is a fight they cannot win."

Tetsuo's ear suddenly twitches, and she turns around to see Bilbo coming out of the shadows. she smiles at him, and he smiles back. "That won't stop them. You think the dwarves will surrender - They won't. They will fight to the death to defend their own." he speaks and startles the two men. "Bilbo Baggins!" Gandalf exclaims, and the hobbit smiles at his friend. "you're right," Tatsuo says; she then looks at the grey wizard and then back at bilbo "say why'd you come?" she says, and Bilbo looks down, twiddling his tubs nervously "I want to show you something. King Thranduil too."

Tatsuo sighs, feeling the familiar energy of the Arkenstone. she knows what he wants. "come," she says, and together with her, Bilbo and Gandalf, and Bard walk back to the eleven king's tent.

Tatsuo

"If I'm not mistaken, this is the halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards," Thranduil says, walking to his seat, his eyes fixed upon Bilbo, who looks uncomfy. "Yes. Sorry about that." the hobbit admits looking away from teh king. I smile and walk over to him, nudging him. Go, little hobbit. He won't bite, and if he does, I will let my fire reign down over him, I said in his mind. Bilbo smiled, looking up t me. he then sighed and stepped forward, laying a package that he bore on teh table of Thranduil. "I came...to give you this." he unwraps it, leaving the stone I had a feeling of before.

The Arkenstone. is one of the reasons for all this.. turmoil. This battle whos going to take place. hopefully, it won't be needed for it. "The heart of the mountain! The King's Jewel." Thranduil breathes, looking down at the stone in surprise. bard then speaks up from behind me, and I walk over to Gandalf, standing beside him as the bowman walks up to the rock, looking at it in awe. "And worth a king's ransom. How is this yours to give?" Bard looks at me, then back at Bard. "I took it as my fifteen shares of the treasure." me and Gandalf smile, proud of our hobbit.

"Why would you do this? You owe us no loyalty." Bard asks, and I shake my head fondly at the little hobbit. The bowman looks at me, questioning. Even I can't the answer, bowman. But, though I read his thoughts, I will let him tell you, I say. Bard sighs and answers me not. "I'm not doing it for you. I know that dwarves can be obstinate and pigheaded and difficult, suspicious and secretive...with the worst manners you can imagine, but they are also brave and kind...and loyal to a fault. I've grown very fond of them, and I would save them if I can." Bilbo explains, and I sigh, knowing that he's right. 

"Thorin values this stone above all else. I believe he will give you what you are owed in exchange for its return. Then, there will be no need for war!" the hobbit ends, and me, Thranduil and Bard, and Gandalf look at each other, weighing the risk. "I say that we try. if not, give me." Thranduil and Bard look at me in shock. "why would you give yourself like that?" Bard ask. I sigh. "even though the dwarf king denies it, I see in his thoughts that he has yet to forgive me, but he will. his heart still holds me dear, and I know that if I return, maybe his mind can be changed." 

"Are you sure? Bilbo says, and I shake my head, beckoning him to come to me. I crouch then down, looking into his eyes "promise me, master Baggins. Whatever happens that you'll be safe and choose the right way—the right path. When you tell thorin about the stone, I will be there. I will save you if I must." Bilbo looks at me with small tears pricking his eyes and embraces me. I smile and return the embrace. The three men watch us fondly. Gandalf was smiling while the other two had adoration in their eyes. I break the hug and pat his head "must faith and goodwill find you, Bilbo Baggins." 

A/n

Tatsuo and Gandalf lead the hobbit through the dale, talking to him,  "Rest up tonight. You must leave tomorrow." Gandalf says, and Bilbo stops, as does the woman of shifters. "What?" the hobbit asks, looking at the grey wizard as he turns to face them both. "Get as far away from here as possible." the wizard answers. Tatsuo's brow frown. "why Gandalf?" she asks. "I can protect him if I must" Gandalf looks at her, his face grim and severe. "would you kill thorin if you had to?" the question shocks the dragon, and she sighs, looking away. "if I must for the sake of the halfing yes. But it won't come to that" Gandalf looked at Tatsuo as she turned her head back to him.

"mithrandir, you know my rule." she says, and the grey pilgrim nods "yes, I do" Bilbo looks on in confusion between the two. "what are you talking about?" he asks, and Tatsuo looks down at him, smiling "little master," she says fondly. "we're talking about the one rule that I follow. The only one: never kill unless it's indispensable," bilbo hums. "come, master, Baggins, let's find a place to sleep," she says and lets herself shift into a giant white and black eagle. It's bigger than those who carried Bilbo and the company after teh meeting with azog.

Gandalf smiled at the mighty beast as Bilbo stared in awe. "she will take you to somewhere safe. stay with her," gandlaf ordered and walked off as Tatsuo crouched down, spreading her left wings so the little hafling could climb on. "come on master Baggins" she says. Bilbo climbs hesitantly on. she rises, spreading her beautiful wings, letting the star-like feathers twinkle in teh late sun. "let's fly," she says and takes off Bilbo, yelping with the sudden force of the wind. Tatsuo chuckles and takes altitude, and flattens out her wings gliding on teh winds as they take her to a safe cave not far from the lonely mountain.

The cave a particular dragon had chosen as a shelter for now.

❤︎