XIX

XIX

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

Aëghan's hesitation lasted a mere second before he followed in Lillian's wake, allowing himself the opportunity to trail behind her by a step or two so as to admire the curves her form-fitting lines of her attire revealed.

He may have formed an honourable resolution within his mind regarding her, but he was yet a male after all, and Lillian Adams seemed almost too exquisite not to admire in the clothes she had chosen to cover her long-limbed body that day. Her hips flared under the coat she wore, a graceful sway to her sure step that captured and held his attention- and made him recall just how soft and warm she felt cushioned against his length the night prior.

Perfect, he thought testily, his mind drawn more often than not to the perfect way she fit in his arms, the feel of her passionate kiss from the day before. He was hard again.

Muttering an oath, he picked up his pace and fell into step beside her, discreetly adjusting his trousers to alleviate some of the discomfort he now faced. Sensing his nearness, she glanced at him askance, her brow raised in a wry arch when she noticed his adjustments. Stiff-backed, rigid posture, proud chin- everything that embodied Lillian was on display for him again yet different.

It was there tangibly between them, connecting like points of flint, and certainly not unpleasant. He detected moments of uncertainty on her part, yet he considered that the new territory they were entering was both conflicting and exciting. Her ability to share her truths with him compelled Aëghan to bestow her with the same courtesy for he came to the shattering conclusion the evening before, as he listened to Lillian's tale with an aching heart, that he had been approaching his interactions with her woefully.

He should have interpreted her better, knowing that as a groomed leader, she would have been more susceptible to open frankness and honesty regarding his intentions. Her astuteness at identifying that there even was any had caught him off-guard, yet her willingness to progress with her accounts despite this had been revelationary.

Aëghan knew then that he had to tell her everything- his initial purpose for her, Dellanae... the mark. It was the last that concerned him the most, for how would she interpret being bound to him when it was foolish to nurture the idea of a heartmate? He was certain she would agree- that they were simply incompatible, their desires in juxtaposition to each other- but he had kept it from her for too long, allowed the burgeoning desire to linger between them without explanation or cause...

His instincts baulked, the dragon itching in protest of his denial of the bond, but he grit his teeth and staved the urgings off. There was no other means for it, and Lillian being the intuitive duchess that she was, would undoubtedly agree.

"Would you like to know why I temporarily borrowed your sister?" Aëghan began, causing her to glance at him sharply. The path was narrow and the earth was churned with thick mud from the storms, so her footing was quickly lost at the movement. He held her arm, steadying her, and waited until she was steady.

Lillian did not begin moving forward again, considering him with an expression of shock and... amusement? "'Temporarily borrowed' is a very pretty way to imply that you abducted her," she pointed out wryly, and began walking once more.

"Semantics, my dear." He fell back into step close behind her, so close his already sharpened senses were overwhelmed by the scent of her. Around them the forest dripped, dark shadows caressing the heavily foliaged floor, and creatures began to poke their heads out in curiosity of the new human exploring their midst. A sheen of moisture clung to the delicate strands of Lillian's hair, darkening the tresses. "I'll not plead innocence to my actions, though I did have a cause. Regardless, lest you believe me anything but devious, let me assure you I am not."