XXXI

XXXI

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

One Sennight Later

Aëghan came across Lillian in the gallery later in the day, having been called away to handle a particular lakey paddock problem in the forest village yet again. He knew that he would find her there- if there was anything he had learnt about her over the course of their time together, it was that she was a creature most comfortable in routine and order... and the gallery embodied just that for Lillian.

She enjoyed her coffee before partaking her breakfast and would fret if it was any other way. She needed to walk during dusk, as the day settled into night, almost every day, and she had to choose her attire for the next day the evening prior- if not physically, then at least mentally while she lay in bed beside him. She had to have a task that she was working on, something to keep her busy and occupied, something to manage her time as such a quality was ingrained into her very being, and most mornings she was considering his personal ledgers, or making an inventory of the larder and her most recent endeavour- his collection of art and artefacts in order to estimate their worth later. Around midday, every day, she would partake in a series of exercises to strengthen her wrists in an attempt to lessen the tremors- something she had previously done in private, but he had stumbled across it by chance soon after their first night together.

She woke up at the same time each day and tended to grow lethargic around a certain hour at night, as if her entire body was governed by these very routines. He doubted she was even aware of them herself, but he was. He was very much aware of everything that was her.

And should she have any free time in her orderliness, she would while it away in his gallery- where it was quiet and reflective, and marvellously beautiful.

The halcoon pup in his arms stirred, reminding him of his purpose, yet he found himself remaining poised on the threshold of the gallery simply to enjoy the sight of her longer.

Uninhibited, she looked peaceful as she perched on one of the many polished benches of the room, reminding him of the first time he had come across her as such and subsequently the first time he had kissed her, deliberately placing herself in one of the spots that was flooded with fading afternoon sunlight. Her face was upturned towards a painting in speculation, or inner rumination- he would never know, and for some reason he wasn't perturbed by that fact. Lillian would always keep parts of herself closed off and unattainable, and he could accept that because that was simply who she had learnt to become. In time, he knew, she would reveal those parts to him- but incrementally, as she had been doing all this time. And though he was hardly a patient male, for her he could be.

The desire to converse with her, be near her, was stronger than his desire to continue admiring her uninhibited, so he made his presence known by entering the chamber with a deliberately heavy footfall. He had learnt over the past several days that it was best to approach Lillian loudly (one of the many repercussions that lingered from her unfortunate time in the Other realm) and make her aware of one's presence rather than quietly sneaking up on her. He had made the mistake of playfully accosting her one afternoon as she walked down the passage to her chambers. She hadn't spoken to him for hours after that and he had a bruise on his arm that still hadn't healed.

As he approached, her head turned to him with a graceful tilt and a tiny, almost imperceptible smile tugged at her lips, but then her gaze dropped to the wriggling creature tucked under his arm and suddenly she was on her feet.

"Why is that in your arms?" she demanded.

"It is a gift."

Her eyes widened, and then narrowed almost in the same breath. "You did not..."