XXIV

XXIV
**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

A commotion a short distance ahead caused her footsteps to come to a halt and Lillian froze, her ears pricking at the sounds of voices. When she recognised the deeply familiar masculine timber that belonged to Aëghan, she felt herself relax.

Around her, the sounds of the forest came to life vividly. A freshness hung in the air, clean and crisp thanks to the recent rains, and birds and animals chirped from the boughs above to mingle with the voices of Other and human. There was an atmosphere of excitement hovering over the ruins and the area in anticipation of the events that were to occur later that day.

And it was because of this that she had hardly seen or heard from Aëghan since he had left her the day prior.

Lillian crept forward, her steps silent and careful as she brushed against the fronds littering the ground. Having spent so much of her time avoiding detection in the Otherworld, she knew how to progress with an agile fluidity and right then she did not relish the idea of being seen, hoping to catch Aëghan unawares as she approached.

Veering off the path, she stealthily utilized the coverage of the trees to shield most of her body from view as she came about the short ridge that would reveal the settlement to her. A sense of eagerness filled her at seeing him again and, having woken up alone this morning, she had felt that longing sit as heavy as a stone upon her heart when she found his note upon her pillow that explained he would not be able to join her at breakfast. After a brief inquisition, she had determined that his attentions had been required among his tenants, so that was where Lillian headed once she had taken her fill of the spread laid out on the table courtesy of Enorae.

She listened closely, noting the intermittent laughter and the shrieks of children, and edged to the left, away from the general direction he had led her yesterday and deeper into the trees. As she crept up the slight incline, the sounds increased and added to them came the hollow thud of wood hitting wood. Curiosity bloomed in Lillian, aided by the fact that his distinct instructions were coming through clearer so that she was able to detect some of what he was saying and it seemed as if he was... training?

Finally, having inched so that some of the settlement came into view, Lillian stilled amongst the heavy foliage of the trees and peered through the leaves.

The day prior she had not been privy to this part of the area- a sizeable, circle of land that had been cleared of trees and other natural obstructions. It lay some yards away from the first habitable structures nestled within the trees of the forest and appeared to serve as ground to provide training for several males who lingered about the edges of the perimeter, keenly observing what was transpiring in the centre.

Sunlight filtered through the clearing, illuminating the occupants in the early golden sheen of morning, and Lillian detected him easily, noting his mud-covered appearance with an unwilling smile.

Aëghan was instructing several youthful males and children, who stood before him in a semi-circle, in what appeared to be swordplay. They brandished wooden planks fashioned into weapons, their manoeuvres clumsy and inexperienced as they faced-off a chosen opponent. The other males along the perimeter watched on patiently, amused or encouraging smiles on their faces while they crossed their arms and observed.

It seemed to Lillian as if their practises were routine, as if they were accustomed to this ritual and merely taking part in a regular activity.

For a long while she simply watched them- well, not them but rather him- hidden where she was amongst the leaves. His white shirt was splattered with dirt and mud, damp from his exertions and clinging to the contours of his muscles she had memorised the day prior with tantalising appeal. His hair, also darkened and damp, hung in limb tendrils over his temples and curled about the nape of his neck.