Chapter 9

Grace couldn't get into her tent due to the condition of her leg. Instead, she spent the night nestled atop the blankets. It didn't make her feel too much less secure. She knew that Aaden, at the very least, wouldn't try to kill or torture her.

When the next morning came, Grace felt a lot more refreshed than usual. She had finally been able to get a good night's rest without having to worry about the looming threat of a giant. It was something Grace hadn't felt in a long time. Even when she was living in the forest, among her people, there was still the threat of a giant. Some of them came into the forest to cut down trees, and tinies always had to run the risk of getting found. But now, with Aaden, Grace felt an odd sense of peace. She didn't have to worry about any of that. She could just...live.

The thought struck Grace that Aaden wouldn't accommodate her forever. Eventually she would have to go back to her old life, always in fear of giants. Not that she didn't fear giants anymore now. She trusted Aaden, but other giants could still harm her at a moment's notice. If she went back to living in the forest, she, once again, had to put her life in jeopardy from living in the presence of other giants.

Another huge issue she had was the snow. Even if Aaden would accept to permanently take Grace in, it's not like she wanted to be confined here forever. She would want to go home eventually. When her leg healed, she would have to worry about trekking through the snow to get back. And it was distinctly possible that the entrance to her tree's tunnels would be covered up with snow.

Setting aside her thoughts, Grace sighed. Due to the injury on her leg, she had no choice but to wait for Aaden to arrive. It did feel a bit degrading to have to rely on a giant, but it wasn't too bad. After all, the only reason she relied on him was because of her injury. Normally, Grace would be traveling freely on her own. Aaden treated her like an autonomous person rather than patronizing her. It made her feel at ease.

When Aaden arrived, Grace was more nervous than she expected to be. In her mind, he was a kind guy who had saved her life. But seeing his towering form didn't help to preserve that image. However, she sucked in a deep breath and tried her best to keep her cool. It would be alright.

"Hey Grace."

"H-hey."

"I, uh, got you some food."

"Thank you."

"No problem." Aaden smiled, looking down at Grace. It was intimidating, but she held his gaze for a few moments. At last, Aaden broke her gaze and set down the paper towel and spoons. The large spoon had some yellow bits on it. Grace thanked Aaden for the food, and then began eating. It felt sort of like a soft sponge in her mouth. It tasted like basil, parsley, and some other herbs, but it also had a taste that she couldn't quite place.

"They're scrambled eggs. Do you like them?"

"Yes. Thank y-you."

"No problem." A few moments of silence passed.

"A-Aaden?"

"Yeah?"

"W-would you..."

"Go on."

"S-sorry to bother you, b-but can I s-stay here for t-the winter?

"Grace, you can stay for as long as you like. And it doesn't bother me. Even though I don't really know you, you seem like a cool person." He smiled warmly.

"Thank you so much! I owe you."

"Don't worry about it, it's just a favor."

"R-really?"

"Really." Grace was speechless. Never in her wildest dreams had she thought a giant would help her out. Let alone without requesting a favor in return. The magnitude of how wrong her people had been about some giants shocked her increasingly.

"Aaden?"

"Mhm?"

"For what it's worth, I think you're a cool person too."

Aaden just smiled in reply, unable to find the words to express his friendly endearment towards Grace. She, for the first time to Aaden's knowledge, smiled back in reply. This was a huge step in the right direction.

"Grace?"

"Yeah?"

"I—," he extended a finger towards Grace. "Friends?"

Grace's heart fluttered. She had never fathomed the possibility of befriending a giant. But here she was, not nearly as scared as she should be. Because she trusted Aaden.

Grace cautiously put her palms around the sides of Aaden's finger. He shook her hand. Grace had become friends with a giant. The thought was scary, but Aaden had rescued her. Protected her.

"Friends."