𝟷.𝟹

𝓸𝓶𝓷𝓲𝓼𝓬𝓲𝓮𝓷𝓽

𝓸𝓶𝓷𝓲𝓼𝓬𝓲𝓮𝓷𝓽

The week had gone by unusually fast for Alaina. She hadn't gone to work for the rest of it, the idea courtesy of Evan, but instead focused on spending the quality time with her children. She had even taken them to see the paediatrician for a wellness visit and then they got ice cream afterwards.

Rome had also come by once or twice to visit but it seemed like even his week off wasn't so work-free.

She had tried not to think about it too much but she couldn't help but wait for an apology from him, be it a text or a call or even one in person but she had ended up waiting in vain. It was Sunday now and he hadn't even bothered to pick up his kids for the weekend. She'd had to lie to her kids and tell them that he was so sick that he couldn't make it just to keep them from crying.

Now she was beyond pissed and she wasn't sure an apology could cut it anymore.

"Mommy look. Spidey!" Zeniyah squealed, clapping her hands in excitement as she watched the said cartoon character swing from building to building like a monkey in a tree.

She smiled at the sight of her two-year old watching cartoons with a wide smile, a huge contrast to how she was two hours ago when she had refused to eat her food because she hadn't seen 'daddy' yet.

Just then the doorbell rang, getting her attention.

She raised an eyebrow at the sudden visitor. She wasn't expecting anybody. She had just gotten off the phone with Evan and Zee thirty minutes prior so it couldn't be them. Rome was off attending to some business matters elsewhere so it couldn't be him either.

Warily, she stood up to go open the door.

How did that popular saying even go again? Speak of the devil and he appears?

If she hadn't ever believed it, she did now because there he was, standing so innocently outside her house with his hands in his pockets like he didn't singlehandedly cause her to cry all through the night the last time they had spoke.