A Not So Great Escape

⚠️⚠️Triggers: Minor injury⚠️⚠️

Published: May 9th, 2022

Edited: N/A

Rays of dying sunlight shone through paper-thin curtains. The light was soft in the twilight, tinting the room the same shade as a blood orange. It illuminated the dull yellow paper plastered to the walls, and the splintering wood of the floor. The shadows breaking the lovely light were attributed to few figures. A small bed, an old oak dresser, a backpack strewn to the corner of the room, and the sleeping mass of a teenager.

[Y/N] woke slowly, keeping their eyes shut as they let out a large yawn. They stretched their aching joints, feeling pain especially in their right arm. The sudden pain surprised them, and they opened their eyes in an attempt to discern what had caused the sensation. Unfortunately for them, it appeared they had slept on their arm in an uncomfortable position, using it as a pillow. It made sense, seeing as they lacked one of their own.

They flopped onto their back with a sigh. Now that it was morning, or rather, evening, they could begin scheming up their escape plan in earnest. This was easier said than done, seeing as their supplies were quite limited. In fact, they were almost nothing at all.

Though their legs hurt from running that morning, it was reasonably easy for them to swing their legs off of the bed and position themself in a standing position. Their bed creaked loudly in response to the sudden movement, but that didn't affect [Y/N] much. For the first few months, they had been extra cautious whenever moving on the bed due to its poor frame. Now, they accepted that when it broke, it broke.

With one last stretch, they pushed themself off of their bed. Almost immediately, they felt a familiar grumble from the abdomen. The cereal that had satiated them the previous night was now gone, its box likely taken in the wind. They turned their attention to their backpack. The contents of the bag were bound to be luke-warm by now, but it would have to do.

With a reluctant step, they made their way over to the corner of the room. They dropped to a crouch, cringing when both of their knees popped loudly. Taking the silver zipper of their bag between their fingers, they pulled it open. Inside were the same objects they remembered from hours before. Three energy drinks, five granola bars of various types, and a pen.

The pen was useless to them, but [Y/N] knew a meal when they saw one. They ripped open a wrapper, and pulled out one of the dark chocolate - oat bars, sighing when crumbs flew everywhere. Taking a bite, they set it down on the floor, using the wrapper as a plate, and unscrewed the cap of a blue drink. Everyone knows that blue is always the best flavor, so why would they choose anything else?

After a few minutes of eating on the floor and making a mess of crumbs, they were satisfied with their breakfast. They wiped their face with the sleeve of their gray hoodie, and screwed the cap back onto the half empty bottle of what they assumed was blue raspberry. Once that was done, they threw everything back into their bag and tossed it onto their bed.

[Y/N] knew the next steps of escape well. They stood, brushing crumbs off their lap, and turned to their dresser. Though they only owned a few articles of clothing to begin with, they only really wore the same pair of blue jeans and a dark gray t-shirt. They opened the top drawer, and seeing as it held all of their clothing, simply grabbed everything and threw it onto the bed alongside their bag.

With all of their earthly possessions gathered in one place, [Y/N] began to wonder how they were going to actually get out. They plopped down onto their bed, almost enjoying the way it creaked and bounced. The frame was definitely on its last legs. Wait a minute, that could work.

Again, they stood. They carefully placed their bag and all of their belongings onto the ground on the far side of the room. Then, grasping the thin mattress they had been resting on just seconds before, they yanked as hard as they could.