A Cafe Mishap

⚠️⚠️Triggers: None <3⚠️⚠️

Published: June 17th, 2022

Edited: N/A

The empty streets looked gray and stagnant. The gray streets and gray buildings and gray sky all added to the feeling of blank stuffiness. There were no people or vehicles traversing in the dim early morning. The sun had once again been chased away by an endless expanse of clouds. Nothing broke the silent gray scene, not even a rat. Nothing until a flash of pink hair and the bright chirp of a store bell added life and color to the dead street.

[Y/N] caught sight of a pink flash for only a second. The bell became muted just as fast as it had sounded, indicating that the door had once again closed. They had been chilling on the roof with Chloe, their gray hoodie matching the gray fur along her back, making them both blend into the gray concrete.

They recognised the building where the disturbances had come from. It was the cafe they had seen days prior. It had been closed when they first laid eyes on it, but it was clear that now it was open. Either that or a burglar trying very hard to get caught had just entered the building. Maybe they would check it out now, seeing as they hadn't really investigated it further previously.

With a huff, they stood. Chloe had been basking in what little sun there was, staying put as [Y/N] began to leave. They knew that she would be fine by herself. She was an alleycat afterall. It wasn't hard to imagine what she did when she wasn't hanging out with the teen. There were plenty of rats to kill and alleys to explore in a small radius around the area. The entirety of L'Manburg itself was like an alleycat's playground.

As they made their way to the fire escape, they wondered about who owned the tiny cafe. Cafes weren't something very common in the poor streets of L'Manburg, especially in an area such as this. They were much more common in districts such as Kinoko or Snowchester.

They still hadn't confirmed whether or not Wraith was truly the one to leave them the gift basket. They didn't regret throwing away its contents, but the quilt had been a huge asset to battle the cold at night. Not only was it soft, but it was also thick and well made.

Since they had first received the quilt last week, they had also gained a thin mattress someone had left in an alley close-by. It had been a pain in the neck to carry it up the fire escape, but it made sleeping at night much more comfortable. They didn't trust sleeping directly overtop the mattress, the possibility of bedbugs or other nasty things setting them off from the idea. Instead, they draped half of the large quilt over the mattress and used the other as a blanket. It was almost like they were a taco when they slept wrapped in it.

[Y/N] started to climb down the fire escape. It was a relatively nice day. Though the clouds were a blanket across the sky letting in very few direct rays of sunlight, the air wasn't as humid as it had been lately. There was no threat of rain from the light gray clouds, and a slight breeze was blowing. It was still cold, but [Y/N] had gotten used to L'Manburg's slightly-over-freezing winter weather.

They let their mind drift as they made their way down the familiar route. As they climbed the ladder down to the dumpster, they were suddenly reminded of their injury from nearly three and a half weeks before. They had kept it wrapped in bandages, changing them out every two days or so. It hadn't bled through the wraps since Chloe had reopened it in Fundy's apartment. It still hurt, but they could pretty much use the hand normally so long as they didn't put much pressure on it.

The streets were mostly empty as they made their way to the cafe. During their brief exploration of the area, they had been particularly interested in it. What had it been called..? Something Cakes and Coffee? They would remind themself there.