A New, Trusted Friend

⚠️⚠️Triggers: None⚠️⚠️

Published: May 14th, 2022

Edited: N/A

The first light of dawn illuminated the sky with a dull light. The absence of glass in an old frame granted the purple light full access to a bare room. In the corner left of the window lay a dented tin lunch box, the words "first-aid" written in sharpie across its cover. Next to it lay reflective wrappers and plastic bottles full of colorful liquid. In the right corner lay a small pile of glass shards. Directly beneath the window lay the sleeping figure of a human, resting their head atop a backpack full of clothes.

[Y/N] had slept well for the first time in months. Though it had been on a hard wooden floor, with nothing but their backpack and clothes to use as a pillow, and probably on top of tiny glass shards, they had gotten more rest than they ever could have back in their old foster home. Sure their back hurt, and they were pretty sure their ankle had swelled overnight, but emotionally, this was the best they had felt for months.

They laid out onto their back, stretching the last bit of sleep from their bones. They rubbed their eyes, yawning. They placed their hands on the floor on either side of themself, pushing until they were upright. That's when they were forced to remember the current state of their right hand. Luckily, it hadn't bled through the bandages as it did the previous day. It was the next day, right? [Y/N]'s sleep schedule was so scrambled that they didn't know if it was before dawn or noon.

Before beginning their day in earnest, they had a few things to go over in their mind. One of the best ways to do that was to not have an empty stomach.

Twisting around, cracking their back in the process, they reached out for a granola bar. The "Stuff Pile", as they had dubbed it affectionately, was going to need an upgrade. Not only were they lacking in toiletries, but they were already running low on things to eat. Sure, stolen granola bars were fine, but who wanted to, or even could live off of that forever?

They grabbed a plain oat bar. Trying not to make extra crumbs, they opened it slowly. They were semi successful, with minimal mess-making. Taking a bite, they realized that they needed something to wash it down with. Remembering their empty bottle from the previous day that they had lazily placed along with the full ones into the pile, they reached for that as well.

Deciding to eat the rest of the bar on the way to the bathroom, they stood, with moderate pain in their left ankle, and began to make their way to the door. Moving the bottle to the hand with which they held their breakfast, they unlocked the door, and exited into the hallway. As they walked down to the bathroom, they noticed the strange silence of the apartment. Surely at least one other person would be awake, but there weren't any sounds that they could hear.

Once they got to the bathroom, they turned on the light and went to the sink nearest to the door. Unscrewing the cap off of the bottle with their free hand, then turning on the tap, they began to fill the bottle with fresh water. They made sure not to wet their granola bar, for obvious reasons.

After the bottle had filled entirely, they took a sip. Sure, energy drinks were great, but nothing could beat a drink of cool water. Now refreshed, [Y/N] took some time to fix up their appearance. They washed their face as well as they could, and brushed through their hair with their fingers. Noticeable eye bags were visible under their eyes, but there wasn't much they could do about that. Their only wish at that moment was for some soap to take a shower, but they didn't have anything and didn't feel like barging in on someone else just to ask for it. That was a strange request anyway, not to mention it would be coming from an absolute stranger.

Satisfied, they turned off the light and began making their way back to their room. Being the considerate person that they were, and not because they didn't want anyone to know that they were there, they walked as silently as possible. On the way, they finished the last bite of their breakfast. Once they were facing their room after opening the door, a few things struck them as odd. Well, more like one big thing.