A Repeat In History, With a Twist

⚠️⚠️Triggers: Being knocked out???⚠️⚠️

Published: June 4th, 2022

Edited: N/A

Rays of yellow light punctured through the fleeting layer of gray. Reflections shimmered on the surface of the waterlogged street. The drip of millions of water droplets sounded quietly through the street, a symphony of natural music. The drops fell from the greener leaves and the rustier metal railings. A drop fell from the mirror of a car, followed by a drop from the dirty gutter of a low building. It fell on the dry hair of a figure standing in the entrance of the building.

[Y/N] felt the cold and slightly gross sensation of a drop of water hitting the top of their scalp. They paid no mind to it. It was insignificant in the face of what they were now facing. They were back at the shopping center. Not by choice, but by necessity.

They were anxious about the idea of entering the building. The last time they had gone on an excursion like this had ended poorly by their own standards. That and everyone else's probably. They were more certain in their thieving skills this time with their ankle slightly better and the infection in their hand dying down. However, returning after just a little over forty-eight hours may have been a misjudgment on their part.

For about a day or so, they had stayed with Fundy. After passing out on his couch, they had gotten more sleep than they thought they would ever need. By the time they awoke, the storm had already died down. Fundy had made a rather large breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast, and ham slices. Against the wishes of the little voice in the back of their head screaming not to trust the man, they had eaten their fill, thanked him for his hospitality, then returned to their own apartment.

By the time they returned, it was clear that leaving had been the best course of action. The floor was damp, shallow puddles filling the slight dips of the wood. Their Stuff Pile was fine, seeing as everything there was waterproof. Their first-aid kit had also survived well, the tin lunch box protecting the less-than waterproof items within. Just a few hours after they left Fundy's, they were yet again standing in the parking lot of the shopping center.

With a deep breath, they entered through the large sliding glass doors. In an attempt to somewhat disguise themself, they had chosen to leave off their precious gray hoodie in favor of a seldom worn graphic t-shirt. In return, they had sacrificed their only defense against the slight chill in the humid air. They held their breath as they traveled along the wide walkway.

Having remembered its location from the last time they were in the center, they quickly made their way towards the shop. The shop itself wasn't much, just a relatively small clothing retailer. Really, they weren't much interested in buying new clothes in general. However, with their limited supply of clothes and complete lack of coins to use at a laundromat, they were left with one last option.

As they made their way to the shop, they noticed the lack of people in the center. Compared to their last experience in the place, it was nearly deserted. Not that they were upset, it just meant there was less of a chance of someone seeing them slipping clothing into their slightly oversized shirt. Then again, there would be no crowds to slip into if things got hairy. They could only hope everything would go to plan.

The plan, of course, was simple. Pretend to browse in the shop, slip a few articles of clothing into what they already had on, then skedaddle. At least, they told themself it was simple. They had no back-up plan other than to run as far and fast as possible like they had done last time. [Y/N] cringed slightly at the thought of doing that again, remembering their shaky legs and sore lungs once they had finally returned to the apartment.