2. The Problem!

Author’s PoV

Madhu and her friends Reshma and Hari were sitting in the college canteen waiting for their tea during their lunch break. Madhu, Reshma and Hari have become a team since their first year. They go to all intercollege competitions on coding and they have won in every competition they have ever participated in. 

“We still have a week before our exams. I am so nervous. People say that because of this Covid, IT companies have decided not to take in freshers and that the campus interviews they have done so far are kept on hold.” Hari told them.

“I heard it too. I was so happy when we three got selected in the same company. I thought we would all be together forever. But now, I am sad too.” Reshma said. Reshma is from a well to do family and the only reason she attended that campus interview is to be with her friends.

“Pch, stop your negative emotions. I am sure we will get the call letter. First concentrate on our exams. You know my situation, right? I need this job more than anyone to survive and I am positive that we will work together.” Madhu stopped them from further talks.

Praveen came running towards them and Madhu felt a knot in her stomach. Praveen is in the Electronics department and lives near Madhu’s home. His father is one among the many to whom her dad owes money to. Praveen talked on behalf of her to his dad to give more time to settle the money.

“Is everything alright, Praveen?” Madhu asked, standing up from the chair. 

“Madhiveni, I want to talk to you in private.”

“Ok!” She told him and walked a little away from her friends all the while her stomach making twists and turns.

“Madhiveni, I heard my dad talking to some land promoters. Looks like your home documents are with dad and he is planning to sell it to the real estate agents. Looks like huge apartments are going to be built near your home and they need your land too for it.”

“But where would we go if we sell it? We have asked for a year’s time right? Why is your dad doing this?” Madhu tried hard to not let the tear fall out of her eyes. She knows that tears are good for nothing.

“I am so sorry, Madhu. My dad is going to get a huge amount through this. I don't think he would listen to me anymore. Above all, your dad has signed papers saying that if he didnt settle the amount in time, my dad is allowed to take the house for himself. That date is past now and you cannot do anything legally against my dad.”

“God, I don't know what I can do now. Please, Praveen. Talk to your dad or at least take me to your dad. I can talk to him. I can …” She knows that her pleas are futile.

“I don't know if he would listen to you. But I can take you to talk to my dad.” He said and she looked at him gratefully. She knows that that is the maximum he could do.

“Thank you, Praveen. You have helped me in more ways than you know.” She said, heartfelt.

They went to Praveen’s house as soon as they finished their classes. Praveen’s father is not a very rich businessman. Madhu waited for him in the hall while Praveen walked into the room to fetch his dad. She felt her heart beat in her throat and her palms were sweaty for what to come.

“You go to your room, Praveen. I will talk to her.” His dad growled at Praveen that flipped her stomach in fear. He is angry at Praveen for letting her know.

“But dad,” 

“I said I will talk to her.” His voice warned him. Praveen looked at her with a sorry and went upstairs to his room.

“What do you want?” He asked her.

“Sir, please give us time. I will for sure settle the money in one year.”