The Auction

Dmitri's annoying laughter combusts and echoes throughout the museum gardens, as he laughs loudly at my statement like an entitled prick. It was the final straw that royally ticked me off:

"What the fuck is so funny?" I ask, staring at him challengingly, "Why are you laughing so loud?"

He stops laughing suddenly, his brow quirking upwards slightly in amusement as a small smirk plays his lips:

"Androids are our servants." He says, placing his hands into his trouser pockets smugly as he eyes Nines up and down in a way that made me feel uncomfortable for some reason: "They were designed to serve us. But I suppose you've grown attached to yours. How..." He pauses, eyes turning dark as he sneered at me "Infantile."

I raise my brows at him, gripping the sides of my dress firmly as I look at him, shocked at his stupidity and even more appalled at the audacity.

There was a time when I was tame. Shy. When I cared what people thought of me. When I cared about pleasing others- bending to meet the whims and expectations of my father and the status that came of being his daughter. But those days were over.

There is a burning rage inside of me. A fire that I can't extinguish- or rather don't want to.

I take a dangerous step closer to him, bringing a hand up to smack him in the face. My palm was cold, up in the air before it lowered fast in a loud slap across his cheek that made my hand sting from the friction that was emitted upon it making contact with his stupid face:

"How dare you speak to me that way." I say bitterly.

Satisfied with the reddening mark on his face, I move to pull my hand back when suddenly I feel him grab my wrist, wrapping his pale fingers around it tightly and yanking it roughly. I wince, but there is no time to even react because in an instant Nines is in between us, ripping his hand away from my wrist before pushing him roughly to the cobblestone garden path. I watch in shock as Dmitri's ass hits the ground while Nines takes slow, careful steps towards him, towering over him with his glacial, grey-blue gaze. Dmitri clutches his face and stares at him with a mixture fear and anger:

"Fuck you." He spits, glaring up at Nines.

"You must refrain from touching Miss Kamski." Nines said coldly, before turning around and fixing his gaze back onto mine. I watched as his optic units scanned over my body, making sure I was unharmed as he walked over and placed his hand on the small of my back carefully:

"Let us return to the auction."

Deciding to listen to my android for once, I nod quietly and turn around with him. I try to contain my rage as Nines escorts me carefully down the garden path until we reach the ballroom. From there, we are ushered by another android into the Auction Room.

We follow many other guests down a grand corridor until we reach a dimly lit room, dark- but upscale with modern decor and seating. Nines stays close behind me as I locate my father and take a seat beside him. Nines sat next me, but I noticed his hand still lingering on my back, even after we had taken our seats, as he scanned the room with his intricate and focused gaze. Once he was content the room was clear, he drew his hand back from me carefully and let it rest on his leg. I felt my stomach flutter as I fixed my eyes onto his hands.

They were pale, cold and his fingers were slender- yet still bigger than mine. His knuckles were sharp. I felt a chill run down my spine as I thought of how those were the hands that had punched the man who had assaulted me. Skilled, strong hands...

The auction began, with some weird artifacts being shown from whatever century. My father and his associates began to place a few bids, but I don't really care. In fact, I am still angry at that Dmitri guy who grabbed me. I wonder if I should be petty and tell my dad...

Tapping my foot impatiently, my father moved his head and shot me a glare for me to stop making noise. I sighed and rolled my eyes, before turning my head away to instead look at Nines, who was sitting straight in his seat right next to me, pale eyes fixed on the auctioneer.

"That guy was such a prick." I whisper to him, in a desperate attempt to combat my boredom.

I watch as he blinks quickly, processing my words before awkwardly turning his head to look at me, his expression furrowed with slight confusion:

"Are you speaking to me?" He asks quietly. I found it kind of cute that he was whispering to stay quiet too. It made me smile slightly.

"Yes." I whisper back playfully, scooting closer to him "Thanks for pushing him for me."

Nines' eyes narrow slightly. He looked confused. Offended, almost- that I had thanked him. His lips parted slightly:

"You don't need to thank me." He began, "I've been assigned to keep you out of harm's way."

I am about to open my mouth and retort with something witty back, when suddenly my phone rings really loudly, with the ringtone echoing awkwardly throughout the entire auction venue. I feel my heart sink in my chest, as I quickly stand up and grab it- looking at the Caller ID to see that it's fucking Gavin. Of course.

My father shoots me a death glare as I scurry, grabbing a bunch of red dress as I try to make my way out of the auction room- without falling on my face- and into the corridor where I could get some privacy. But, as if my exit wasn't dramatic enough, Nines stands up to follow me out of the room too. I stop him, turning to look at him as I whispered loudly:

"Nines, please! Two minutes?" I ask, to which his LED swirls amber and he irritatedly nods.

"Two minutes." He repeats warningly, giving me his serious eyes as I nod and walk out into the corridor, closing the doors behind me. I can't believe he actually listened to me for once.

I sigh and swipe my finger on my cellphone before angrily bringing it to my ear:

"What Gavin?!" I answer angrily, but there is nobody on the other line.

And after a few seconds, I realize that it is completely silent.

"Gavin?" I call out again when I hear nothing. Confused, I move my phone away from my ear and check to make sure I'm not muted or anything. But everything seems to be fine.

I frown, bringing my phone back up to my ear to try and listen if it was a connection issue or something- when suddenly I feel a hand snake around my body, grabbing me from behind, while another hand presses a soft white cloth to my face. My eyes widen and my phone drops out of my hand as I struggle. I try to scream and kick, but a wave of numbness washes over me, as I feel faint with the sharp scent of the white cloth and eventually black out.